Recommissioning a '94 Kaw 750SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommissioning a '94 Kaw 750SS

Picked up a 1994 ski that has been stored since June of 1997. It did not come with a manual but I think I figured most stuff out except for a couple of items. First, what does the pull up lever located in the engine compartment that is connected to a cable do? It appears to be some kind of manual choke or something, but doesn't close the butterfly on the carb. Second, on the front side of the crankcase, there is a large (about 28 mm or so) bolt which appears to be a crankcase oil fill cap. Does this ski use crankcase oil? and if so, how do I change the oil, or determine the oil level? Also, any specifics as to what I should watch for or do for a ski that has been sitting for 4 years would be appreciated.
    Thanks

The pull lever you see is a case-drain valve. It opens a little swing door that was designed to drain water from the case before you tried to crank it over, if you ingested it. A good idea in theory, but one that proved to be a majro source of air-leaks. THere are aftermarket kits that block it off, and it's highly recommended that you do so. Sea-Doo had a similar design, but botched it up even further, by using tiny little allen set screws in the case, that were impossible to get to in the hull. Go figure. Both designs were eventually phased out of production.

The big cap on your flywheel housing is NOT an oil fill. It is mearly an inspection hole for checking your timing with an inductive timing light! Do NOT put oil in there!

After 4 years, you really have to go over it inch by inch, checking for everything - structural defects, bad cables, bad lines, check each fastener, rebuild the carbs, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X