Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magneto/Coil problem

I hope you can help me with this one.
    I have a '77 Kawasaki 440 with an electrical problem. The ski was running very well, then stalled at about half throttle and wouldn't re-fire. I found a burned wire (the black one) coming out of the flywheel housing, so I pulled the flywheel and found that two of the four magnets had broken up, and the top inside coil (either the pulse or the exciter) was burned to a crisp. I unplugged the other end of the wiring harness from the electric box, and the female side of the plug where the black wire plugs in is also a little bit black, indicating that there was heat there too. I have purchased a new wiring harness, and have found all three coils, stator plate, and replacement flywheel that I plan to pick up this weekend.
    Before I install all these parts, hit the start button, and fry a new set of coils, I figured I should determine the root cause of the problem.
    Could the magnets have broken from a combination of age, heat, and vibration, and the magnet fragments crossed the coils and fried them and the black (ground?) wire? Or could the problem have originated in the electric box, fried the coil and the wire, and the magnets on the flywheel are an unrelated, coincidental failure? I have not opened the electric box yet to check for damage.
    Let me know if you need any additional information to help with your assessment.

Rob

I can almost guarantee you the damage was caused by the failing stator assembly, and as long as you make sure all your current wires and connections are good, the new equipment will take care of the problem.

Comment

What part do you think the broken magnets play? Do you think they broke and caused the electrical failures, or do you think they are unrelated to the electrical issue? Have you seen the magnets come apart like this before?

Rob

Comment

They very well could have broken and shorted the coils - it happens.

Comment

Working...
        X