Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug color interpretation?

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with plugs....maybe? The dealer says "no problem", the customer service people at Kawasaki says "no problem", but I'm not so sure.

I have two new (less than 20 hours) skis: a 2001 Ultra 130 and a 2001 STX-1100-DI; after proper break-in and pre-mixing for 1st 3 tanks, took them in for 10-hour service (at the 12-hour mark) and all 6 plugs were Very Black (not oil fouled, just carboned). They replaced the plugs. Now, at 19 hours, all 6 plugs are Very Black again. The dealer says "that's normal".
    Kawasaki c/s says that all of their DI engines have that color on the plugs. To me this indicates a severe over-rich condition?.....but of course I come from a 4-stroke background. The skis runs okay, start right up, the STX100 might be a bit low on top-end power (can just barely break 50 mph on smooth water). The Ultra 130 wouldn't break 6300 rpms under any conditions; after arguing with the dealer for 3 weeks ("that's normal"), they are now replacing the impeller shaft bearings per Kawa's recommendations. I don't let the skis idle excessively and do quite a bit of WOT. Any thoughts?

Although I have not played with the Kaw DI's yet, I have played with the Seadoo's, and their plugs come out looking PERFECT - dark brown and dry - everytime. It's entirely possible that the Kaw computers are set to run richer than optimal - I have no others to compare to. It wouldn't surprise me, as Sea-Doo is the only manufacturer that seems to setup their engines right on the razor edge of performance/reliability.

Comment

Working...
    X