Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: SL650 changing reeds

I'm new to PWC's,

I just picked up a 94 SL650 for cheap off a friend. It ran but had a cracked reed, or thats what the dealer said. It has now been sitting for a few years and now I'm fixing it up and hoping to use it.

I'm in the process of taking off the carbs or get at the reeds, found 10mm bolts holding the all the carbs and bolting the reed block on. I got all the bolts off but one in the back middle cylinder. Anyone had problems with this before? I dropped one 10mm under the motor trying not to drop another so I thought I would ask first.

Another question as well, anything I should be doing besides this before I try starting it assuming I've changed the reeds.
    -new gas
    -new oil
    -new inline fuel filter
    -new batt
    -new reeds
    -clean carbs/jets

I was going to spary down in the cylinders some storage seal and clean the carbs. Anything else before I try it out?

thanks
    Mike:)

Re: Q: SL650 changing reeds

ok I found the bolts under the carbs two per carb but I don't have much space to remove them, I know after I get them off I can get at the reeds but there has to be an easier way?

mike

Comment

12mm box end wrench to remove the six nuts holding the carbs on. you can access the 10mm nuts easy then.if it has been sitting for years you need to rebuild the carbs completly. cleaning will not be enough. the needle and seats are most likely bad along with the diaphrams.also install either a 3 outlet updated fuel pump or order the retrofit fuel pump upgrade from sbt. the 650 fuel pump has a problem delivering proper fuel flow to the front carb at higher rpm causing a lean condition and severe engine damage.
      WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Originally posted by WATERCRAFTSERVICES
        12mm box end wrench to remove the six nuts holding the carbs on. you can access the 10mm nuts easy then.if it has been sitting for years you need to rebuild the carbs completly. cleaning will not be enough. the needle and seats are most likely bad along with the diaphrams.also install either a 3 outlet updated fuel pump or order the retrofit fuel pump upgrade from sbt. the 650 fuel pump has a problem delivering proper fuel flow to the front carb at higher rpm causing a lean condition and severe engine damage.
        oh ok thanks for the info.....I tired to get the 12mm bolts off, basically impossible would it be easier to remove the whole motor? I'm going to give up very soon its easier to do a motor swap on my car then work on this thing.

thanks
        mike

Comment

ok I tried but its to much of a pain in the butt and I want it running for the weekend so I'm taking it to the dealer. I'll get them to rebuild or clean whatever they what to do.

oh what does one of the retro fit fuel pumps cost ?

thank for the help
          Mike

Comment

crxski. I decided to take a small break from pulling MY carbs from my SL650, jus t now!. It's really not that hard. Make sure your F/A is way out of the way, your fuel lines are diconnected from ther fuel rail and use a box wrench (short) with the clised end. One I finally figured out where the bolts were, it took me 10 min to undo all 6. It gets a little tricky around the oil pump, just lightly move some of the lines out of the way and you are good to go.

Those bolts are not threaded very far on, a couple small cranks and it's off. Dont forget to undo your choke and throttle cables too.

If you have any probs, call me at 360-561-3533 and I'll help walk you throu it, cause I am doing it NOW!
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
            X