Virage TXI 2001 starter problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virage TXI 2001 starter problem?

Every couple weeks I start my ski during the winter down time. I went to start it today and it mades a noise like it's going to engage and turn over but it just stopped. Almost like dare I say seized up. Actually the starter just doesn't continue on. The battery is new and only used one time. I did here the starter engage/ actually miss and just spin once......Any ideas.

Re: Virage TXI 2001 starter problem?

Charge the battery first then try again.
    It also could be a loose connection.

There is a article in the tech section about this problem.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I didn't find the tech article. Today I hit the starter and it tried to start before it quit turning over. Now I just get one engage thud and it stops. Almost seems like maybe the battery isn't turing it over but I charged it last night and it still didn't turn it over.

Thanks

Comment

What are the odds a new battery would be defective and not able to turn the starter. How can I tell if it's the battery.

Comment

It could happen. Also, did you properly charge the battery for 8-10 hours after putting the electrolyte in, if its that kind?

Comment

I charged it initially until the charger said full and again after I had this problem.

Comment

Can you turn the motor over by hand? It should turn quite easily with the plugs out. This would at least narrow out the worst of the causes, a siezure. It sounds like your battery is ok, especially if its new. Dont know that ski at all, but I would guess maybe a starter/bendix issue. Hope this helps.
              Got Wake!

Comment

How do I go about turning it over with my hands? I don't see what I would turn IE flywheel or drive shaft. Where is the starter on this, I am looking for a small cylinder type feature. Is it buried behind a plate?

Thanks

Comment

You will have to remove the driveshaft cover and turn it over with the plugs out.

The starter is under the exhaust manifold.

Follow the tech article on this subject you should be able to find your problem.

Comment

Re: Virage TXI 2001 starter problem? getting to the bottom thanks

I undrstand where the starter is please could it be that easy!!

The driveshaft cover being the half piece of plastic at the back end of the motor. When I spin that cover I guess that is the drive shaft?? How easy should it spin. When I engage the start button that wobbles an inch then stops. Looking at the motor from the back of the ski, which way should the driveshaft turn clockwise or counter?? There is a flat spot on the shaft should I grab it with a wrench?

I have 100 hours on this ski in 3 summers I thought I was taking excellent care of this ski, I know how tempermental they can be. Maybe this is why Polaris is getting out!

Comment

You can remove the clamp holding the cover on thenpul it off. Now take the spark plugs out and turn the shaft with you hands or use a wrench it does not matter wich way you turn it just make sure it is smoothe for a compleate rotation. If it binds then you either have problems with the pump,engine,starter drive/mag.

If it binds the next step would be to remove the jet pump from the rear and check the engine and jet pump separate from each other.

If the engine still binds then you either have internal engine damage or something is sticking on the flywheel under the fron engine cover.

Comment

Working...
                      X