2000 Virage TX quit running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Virage TX quit running

I just bought a 2000 virage tx and had it out for the first time. It ran great after it warmed up. I was riding for about 30 min with a buddy, luckly, and it fell right on its face. When it died I was at WOT it sputtered then just quit running. I tried to start it but the starter couldn't even turn the engine over. It was like trying to start it with a dead battery. I know that I looked at the volt meter at one point and it was putting out about 16 volts according to the MFD. After it died the meter was reading about 11.3 volts. I brought the ski home took the battery out and charged it and when i put it back in it started right up. My question is why would the ski shut down completely? Does the ignition depend on the battery, I wouldn't think so since it has a magneto. And if the battery did go dead, and the meter was reading 16 volts, could there be something drawing the power out of the battery faster than it can be put in. I guess i'm just confused as to why the ski would just die. I'll be glad to listen to any ideas, I'm going to Tampa in 12 days and want to have her up and running again, Thanks.
    Last edited by Jetpilot; 03-04-2005, 12:48 AM.

Re: 2000 Virage TX quit running

I think I might have found my problem, I'm going to try to attach a pic. It is a pic of the electrical box. In the pic you can see what polaris calls a 'one button regulator' got hot for some reason and melted,it controls everything on the left handle bar. I haven't ordered the part yet so if anyone knows of a place I can get one let me know. Has anyone ever seen this before?? I'm thinking it might have got wet so I'm going replace the seal on the box as well. I hope this is my problem because it looks like I"m about to spend $100 on a machine I just bought. Ouch!!
    Attached Files

Comment

I haven't had this problem, or even seen it before, but from my year of military electronics school, followed by 32 years of working on field (outdoor-sey type) computer and electronic engine control equipment in the oilfield, I would make this observation:

1. The entire black box will likely need replaced, not just the reset button- for that switch to get that hot, it is VERY unlikely that other components in that sealed in the epoxy box have not been damaged.

2. If you were seeing 16V on your display, then your voltage regulator is bad. No 12V system should ever top 15V, and then not for more than a few seconds, after which it should not read any higher than 14.5 or maybe 14.6 volts. The high overcharge is very likely what melted that switch. A charge at a 16V level will also destroy your battery.

It is not unusual for an ignition to allow a restart after cooling off; it will fail again after it warms up, possibly with more damage to the control.

As far as water being the cause, that is a possibility, though most of us have seen some sign of water in the ignition control without this drastic effect. I make sure that the O-ring gasket looks good, smear a heavy coat of silicone electronics grease over the components and all connectors, and use a heavy coat of the same "dielectric" silicone grease around the sealing gasket when it goes back together.

I really hope I am wrong, and that there is a cheap fix.

Comment

Is it possible that the voltage regulator was trying to keep up with a large current draw from the battery therefore was putting put too much voltage? Also wouldn't a fuse have blown if that was the problem there are several in the box? I do agree that other componets could have been damaged but they need to be checked first. If any body has the specs for testing the other componets that would be a big help. Does anybody know where the voltage regulator is on this model and if there is a way to check it? I don't know how reliable that voltage guage is on the MFD I think I'll try to check the voltage with my meter.

Comment

Regardless of any current draw, the regulator should hold the voltage down, at least until it blows. I agree, though- if the engine will start, check the voltage at the battery posts. Right on start it may go as high as 15V for a second or two, then drop to no higher than 14.7V.

Far as the fuses go, my late 90's model only have one in the box, a light one for the trim I think. The reset switch that melted on yours is a big circuit breaker, and its condition in the pictures looks like a direct short or a big cable that is nearly broken in two, in which case you should see some melted
          insulation on one of the larger wires.

Comment

Well took the ski out again today. The voltage was fluctuating with every touch of the throttle. After doing some lookinging in the box I found a louse ground, tightened it up and the voltage won't go above 14.5 :) . I don't think I'll ever understand elec. systems. I don't know if this is going to fix my problem or not. as far as the fuses go I don't know what they are for but there are 3 in the pic. but one is a spare (for what I don't know). I have looked for a voltage regulator in all the parts diagrams for the ski and can't seem to find one does anyone know where it is?? I also looked for any other damaged componets or wires and can't find any. I ordered the 1 button regulator today from world of power sports, I called instead of ordering off the web. Good thing it saved me about $30!!! That is the first good news I've had...

Comment

I think you found your problem, the loose ground works just like a nearly severed cable. Should have told you to check for that first, just take that step for granted in my line of work. Great news that the reset switch is not too expensive. With luck, and you seem to have it, you have found and solved your problem. Thanks for bringing out on the forum, you may have helped a bunch of us!

Comment

Working...
              X