Blown up Slx 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown up Slx 1200

I recently purchased a 2000 slx 1200 with a blown up engine. The owner said it ran, but it was sluggish. After pulling the head off i discoved that the piston, head and cylinder wall were destroyed. The wrist pin bearing is shot from the pieces of aluminum grinding away at it. The previous owner obviously ran it for a while after a piece of the piston broke off. I am guessing that the lower rod bearing is the same way as the wrist pin bearing. Am i wrong? I was thinking on replacing the head, piston, sleeve, and the crank. The other two cylinders are perfect and have compression around 130 but im not sure that i shouldnt go with a short block. Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thanks
    Ned

Re: Blown up Slx 1200

I'm no mechanic but I think I know the obvious answer - do the short block from SBT. No hassles of wondering if you put the internals together right, and 1 (or now 2!) years of worry-free riding - if it blows you pay a ship charge and get a brand new one at no cost.

But if you like doing it yourself, hey you've got (IMO) a great machine to build up and have lots of fun on...

Comment

Working...
    X