Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL900 running lean on one cylinder, trouble finding problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SL900 running lean on one cylinder, trouble finding problem..

Could you possibly have worn out reeds? Are your reeds stock? I have seen some reeds that almost act like a "floating valve" as rpm's increase. A car engine with a floating valve mimicks similar characteristics like yours.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by douglee25
      Could you possibly have worn out reeds? Are your reeds stock? I have seen some reeds that almost act like a "floating valve" as rpm's increase. A car engine with a floating valve mimicks similar characteristics like yours.

Doug
      Reeds looked new when I pulled them out during the motor removal/install for the piston replacement.

Things are looking up today, here's the update I posted at pwctoday..

I think so!

Yesterday when I was talking to ph2o about the resistance of my plug wires to match up with coil I had, I noticed that my center plug wire's core was sunk in a bit, probably about 3/16" of an inch or so. Well, I decided to snip that end till the core was even w/ the jacket and put the boot back on. I really didn't think this would help, but I was suprised today!

Went out with my buddy and his 1100 raider and off to the river near the ocean we went. We cruised up and down a few times and my part throttle hesitation now seems to be gone. I've got a decent holeshot and it hooks somewhat decent as far as I can tell.

Top end is still iffy, I noticed I hit 51 pretty easily all of a sudden (all this is via dreamo) which was odd as I never saw it break 50's very often before (if at all).

Stopped for a minute on what was left of the sandbar (getting near hightide) and pulled my center plug. Sure enough, it had fuel/oil that was actually burnt on it! It's firing and looks like the other plugs!

Ok, back on it went and took it down another part of the loxahatchee river.. on the way back I saw my RPM hit 62xx and actually I was running about 55-56 (maybe close to 57?)... It doesn't do that everytime but damnit I can get it there. It almost seems to do full speed/rpm when I go on the throttle and back off it a bit, which is kinda wierd.

I know it's not 100% yet but damnit it's progress. I'm going to check the resistance #'s that I was given at the coils and check all those boots to make sure they look right.

Anywho, we went out to the Jupiter inlet and hit the ocean for about 10 minutes on 3-4 ft swells. HOLY CRAP... that's my first time on a ski out in the ocean. What a rush.. that was crazy I went almost completely vertical once... wheee! Who needs a gym membership.?

Can't wait to do it again

Comment

what did you ever find on this sounds like mine is doing the exact same

Comment

Back from the dead!

Errr, so much was done at the time it's tough to say, but I think the "fix" was trimming back all my plug wires 1/4" or so and threading them back on. I believe the stator on this ski is slowly failing, it's original afaik, and not the updated version. I have to keep my plug gap kinda tight (.020) to get it to run smoothly. Even then I have some loading up issues when the ski is just off idle when turned off and back on.

The motor in this thread since went south.. looks like a piston ring caught the sleeve and destroyed itself inside. That or a bearing in the lower end went South. Replaced it with an SBT unit and been on the water since.

Comment

Working...
          X