Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stator?

Finally got some fun riding time out of it the past week.

In the past I was only able to get the ski up to about 5300 rpm, couldn't get past 49mph.

My crank is within index, firing order is correct. All those things are now confirmed.

On Saturday went out riding with some friends and it looks like I can get it up to speed intermittently. I was able to hit 61 on the dreamo in a mild chop. Much better than before as I was also able to rev up to about 6350 rpm. Then other times it would do the same thing, midrpm stutter and can't get past 5400 or 5500 rpm.

There's no pattern, doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. I can go up one way at WOT and hit close to full rpm, turn around after slowing down to make another pass and it won't hit full rpm anymore. Rinse, repeat.. same thing. It sounds kinda like a misfire if you ask me. Hard to tell for sure though.

Carbs are clean, recently rebuilt as far as I can tell. I cleaned them out anyways when I had my motor apart (air leak caused #1 piston to hole out previously).

Plug wires have all been snipped short to expose core and boots threaded back in.

Stator/CDI is not the updated model as far as I can tell. I still have a ground wire coming out of the box onto my negative battery post.

I know this might be a tough one to troubleshoot online, but I'm hoping someone has seen this before and might be able to say "yep, that's your stator"...

I don't want to throw parts at it blindly, but I'm willing to try with a little guidance. I want it to run well consistently :).

Re: Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stato

Anyone? Gonna have to throw parts at this thing huh?

Comment

Re: Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stator?

That is typical of the crappy Polaris CDI/stators, yes.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stato

lol ok, well that's a start :)

Comment

Re: Ok, the SL900 runs right somtimes, but other times it won't reach full RPM. Stator?

take your plug gap from.030 to .020 have had a few weak pol stators come in this is a temp fix.... eventually you'll need a stator assy...

Comment

Believe it or not this thing finally seems to be running pretty much right on. The past couple of times I've taken it out it just seems to get progressively better. Sometimes when I start it up it takes a minute to rev up all the way again, but then it's fine for a long while.

Honestly if it runs like this I'll just keep an eye on the plugs and keep on chuggin'.

Hit 63 on the dreamo the other day, from what I understand having read the newsgroups from back in the day (when these were 'new'), that translates to about 58-59 when they hit it with a radar gun.

If I come across a good stator deal I'll pick one up, and if it acts up some more I'll shrink the plug gap a bit like you suggested and see how it works out.

With as much as it's been through, I'm honestly suprised it runs as well as it does. If my semi-top end rebuild lasts me the summer I'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
            X