2001 newby Genesis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 newby Genesis question

I just purchased my very first PWC for the family today, a used 2001 Genesis. The ski seems to be very clean and well maintained, with 90 hours.

Firstly, I cannot see any provision to run water into the engine on the trailer to flush it. The previous owner did not give me any manuals or information on it and I don't know what I need to buy to install a flush kit. How do I tell if it is a FICHT model? Or a carbed or injected model? I see different flush kits online for different applications, but don't know what I have.

Secondly, what should I be wary of on this ski. I have read through almost all of the Polaris posts, looking at the Genesis headers and see that some skis have had some recurring problems. Are there items I should be checking on the ski preventatively?

Thirdly, does anyone know where I can purchase an owners manual and service manual for the ski?

Lastly, thanks for this site, it really is an amazing wealth of information.

Re: 2001 newby Genesis question

The Service Manual is always a 'must-have' item. Get it ASAP. Get a flush adaptor from a dealer too - it scews in at the rear of the water rain on top of the heads. If you have three big black cylinders on top of your heads, it's injected. If you only have spark plugs, it's carbed. About the only thing you can count on going wrong with that ski is the stator/CDI - they suck and most short out/fail after a couple years. Think of them as $450 disposable parts.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

any idea WHERE I can get a service manual?

How do I tell if it is a FICHT?

Comment

From your local dealer.

All Polaris injected skis used FICHT.

Comment

Can I purchase a stator from SBT? Is it something that a relatively handy ski-owner can replace himself? Should I have one in stock just in case?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Sorry, dealer only.

Comment

I own a 2001 Genesis as well... (yes some of this is an echo)

1: the flush adapter is a kit you can buy and add on.

2: There were two versions of the ski offered in 2001 FICHT direct injected and carbed. You can recognize the Ficht injection version by the large black modules on top of the cylinders. If you only have sparkplugs on top of the red heads, you are carbed.

3: Stator replacement is normally not a massively simple thing, in most cases it involves removing the motor. Regardless you will have to remove the case cover & flywheel from the front of the engine. I've not had to replace the stator on my Genesis yet and it has been through 2 1/2 full race seasons offshore and on and recreational use since I purchased it new at the beginning of 2002.

4: I would recommend throwing a set of beach-house sponsons on in place of the factory ones. It helps especially if towing a tube behind. I have a spare set here if you are interested.

Comment

Great info Skexies, thanks!

What will I notice in terms of advantages with different sponsons?

How much are they $?

I have ordered the flush kit already, and I do have the injected model.

Again, good advice, I appreciate the info

Comment

Working...
                X