low RPM vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low RPM vibration

Okay, now that I've got the engine and carbs all set Im moving on to a vibration problem. There is no vibration at idle or anything past 1/3 throttle. When I hold the throttle at around 1/3 open though, it vibrates pretty noticeably. I understand that I have 3 cylinders under my seat and some vibration is normal, but it seems like a bit much to me. I've read a lot about the aligment and motor mounts causing this and both of those are good. Mounts are tight and I had alignment checked at the dealer, ok. The driveshaft was also in great shape/straight, and the splines looked fine as well. My next guess would be impellar and wear ring. The impellar is stock and is in ok shape, a few nicks and scrapes but nothing missing. How much does it take to cause vibration? I plan on pulling the pump housing tonight to get a better look at the wear ring as well. Would too much clearance make this happen? How much clearance should there be?

Can carbs cause vibration at low RPM? I remeber the problem even with the old motor before I rebuilt the carbs so I doubt that is the cause, but just wanted another opinion. Am I on the right track with the impellar?

Thanks
    Got Wake!

Re: low RPM vibration

Originally posted by ski_guy
    Okay, now that I've got the engine and carbs all set Im moving on to a vibration problem. There is no vibration at idle or anything past 1/3 throttle. When I hold the throttle at around 1/3 open though, it vibrates pretty noticeably. I understand that I have 3 cylinders under my seat and some vibration is normal, but it seems like a bit much to me. I've read a lot about the aligment and motor mounts causing this and both of those are good. Mounts are tight and I had alignment checked at the dealer, ok. The driveshaft was also in great shape/straight, and the splines looked fine as well. My next guess would be impellar and wear ring. The impellar is stock and is in ok shape, a few nicks and scrapes but nothing missing. How much does it take to cause vibration? I plan on pulling the pump housing tonight to get a better look at the wear ring as well. Would too much clearance make this happen? How much clearance should there be?

Can carbs cause vibration at low RPM? I remeber the problem even with the old motor before I rebuilt the carbs so I doubt that is the cause, but just wanted another opinion. Am I on the right track with the impellar?

Thanks
    Yes, carbs can cause a vibration, especially at low rpm's. You may want to sync them first before addressing drive line issues.

Doug

Comment

Impellar to wear ring clearance is less than .0024(in.), measured in several spots. That seems to be within spec according to my shop manual. My next step I guess is to tear apart the pump housing and check out the stub shaft/bearings and seals. Any advice?

Carbs were sync'd before they were put back on. Can an incorrect mixture cause a vibration? Plugs are all looking nice and brownish and it doesnt load up or hesitate much on accell. Thanks for the reply Doug.

Rob
      Got Wake!

Comment

Originally posted by ski_guy
        Impellar to wear ring clearance is less than .0024(in.), measured in several spots. That seems to be within spec according to my shop manual. My next step I guess is to tear apart the pump housing and check out the stub shaft/bearings and seals. Any advice?

Carbs were sync'd before they were put back on. Can an incorrect mixture cause a vibration? Plugs are all looking nice and brownish and it doesnt load up or hesitate much on accell. Thanks for the reply Doug.

Rob
        CHECK ON DRIVESHAFT UP DATE KIT

Comment

Working...
        X