rattling noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling noise

Does anyone know if there is a bearing, or something around the driveshaft that would make a rattling noise during operation? I have heard this noise is typical for older polaris models, but nobody seems to know why it happens or how to fix it. It only happens when the ski is in the water at idle. I don't think it is the impeller hitting the housing.

Re: rattling noise

My '94 sounds like a gorilla shaking a bucket of bolts on the trailer - but in the water I can't hear it at all (maybe the fish can).
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

Mine is noticable in the water when the engine is at idle. Then when you push the gas it seems to go away as long as you are above idle. Then it goes right back to making the noise when the ski returns to idle conditions.

Comment

just to update this post ==> I have been pondering and researching what could be causing these noises and have narrowed it down to bearings. There is one that sits around the driveshaft that is mounted between the engine area and the exterior of the craft, and one that is inside of the pump right in front of the cone at the end. I will try and remember to post again if replacing these fixes the rattling problem.

Comment

Ericfox - please do let us all know. If you can come up with a solution to the "Polaris rattle" you'll be a rich man. :emoticonc

Comment

Originally posted by ericfox
            just to update this post ==> ...There is one that sits around the driveshaft that is mounted between the engine area and the exterior of the craft...
            I had this bearing out the other night for inspection - although I rattle like crazy - the bearing looks fine.
            WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

which bearing? there are two that could cause it.... also, the bearing itself could look fine but still be in need of replacement......

Comment

eric. the bearing you were looking at between pump and engine,this is your seal carrier assy. should be a seal ,bushing a gap, then another bushing and another seal. similar to seadoo but seadoo uses torington brngs. no rattle here. and pump bearings ,how can i word this. well they per say dont rattle either. they might get rough and make noise like whine.growl,squeal etc depending on application. load etc. now driveshaft splines that rattle, thats common. if your splines are a bit loose they will rattle like crazy when on a trailer , or idle in the water. engines lets say make pulses when they run while going through the cycles. engines vibrate and also have torsional twist on the crankshaft.when the pump is loaded all the splines are tight on the drive side.no rattle from backlash. make sure your rubber bumpers are on your driveshaft and in good shape. i dont know if this helps but i was bored, thought i would reply.

Comment

that definately makes sense..... does everyone agree? i dont know if i have rubber bumbers or not on the driveshaft..... i will have to look into the parts and how they are all fitting together....

Comment

i checked the manual about the rubber bumpers.... i am supposed to have one on each side of the driveshaft. i am missing the one that is on the coupler side!!! could this cause excessive vibration???

Comment

I would put the other bumper on and try it.
                      DryDock

Comment

I have the same rattling noise coming from my Polaris when on the trailer, but when in the water sounds fine. I decided to take it apart and found the two rear bearings have chewed themselves to pieces. I am hoping to get the new bearings in next week and hopefully will solve the rattling noise.

Comment

Originally posted by ericfox
                          i checked the manual about the rubber bumpers.... i am supposed to have one on each side of the driveshaft. i am missing the one that is on the coupler side!!! could this cause excessive vibration???
                          This may be a bit late - but before you throw another bumper on there - check inside the coupler with your finger for the original. When I removed my driveshaft it got stuck inside. All of the grease did a good job of holding it in place.
                          WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

yeah, the bumper is probably just stuck up in there. Hard to tell from here if anything is warn (splines, bearing) but have you not been greasing your driveline carrier bearings?

Comment

The rattling noise is gone. I replaced the driveshaft and coupler with the coupler update kit for older polaris models. I also noticed one of the little rubber bumpers on the end of the driveshaft was missing. Those are both new now on each side. I also did not realize i was supposed to use marine grease on the bearing seal housing very often, so now i grease that bearing housing about every time I go to the lake. This fixed my prob. hopefully it will help someone.
                              Last edited by ericfox; 07-25-2005, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X