Pump Veins Shattered - Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Veins Shattered - Now What?

When else? Right at the beginning of Memorial Day weekend. As far I know - I didn't even ingest anything - I just went to hit the throttle and all I got was 5mph, rpms, and vibration. Now three veins have a nickle sized simicircle missing from them. So I need some help - where do I go? Does anyone know of a resource for rebuilt pumps? Or is replacing the center section of the pump a do-able job for someone who is reasonably handy? Thanks for any help.
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Re: Pump Veins Shattered - Now What?

You sucked in at least one rock, pure and simple. Contact www.impros.com
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yea, that does make sense. Odd thing is, I wasn't near the shoreline, and the impeller has no damage. Thanks for the reply.
      WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Well, maybe it wasn't you that did it. It's not odd that the impeller doesn't show obvious damage. First of all, you can't see the whole thing to inspect unless you've taken it off. Second, the rocks gets passed through the impeller very easily if they are small. They impact the soft aluminum veins as they exit and chunk them. Very common.

Comment

Sorry tech, one more question on this an I'll leave you alone. Would this damage be enough to cause the problem from my first post? I'm wondering if this damage has been there all along and there is really another problem that just occurred. Maybe a driveshaft coupler? Although I did pull the shaft and the splines do look OK.
          WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

If you have pump damage, yes it can cavitate, limiting your speed and cause vibration. Read the tech article on inspecting pumps for damage and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by scottso
              Sorry tech, one more question on this an I'll leave you alone. Would this damage be enough to cause the problem from my first post? I'm wondering if this damage has been there all along and there is really another problem that just occurred. Maybe a driveshaft coupler? Although I did pull the shaft and the splines do look OK.
              Well, you mentioned nickel sized pieces missing from your pump veins. I've got damage to my ski's pump vein and quite honestly it runs with no problems whatsoever. Lowend is still fine and it GPS's at what a stock sl900 should (58.6).

Here's a picture of the damage to my pump (it was like this when I bought the ski).. ignore the red circles this was pointing at something else.

Comment

Quite frankly, if you bought it like that, you have no idea what your bottom end SHOULD feel like. Fine to you is garbage to someone else.

Comment

javiert99 - That is what my stator looks like. I can't get more that 5mph out of this thing - I'm not sure my damage would cause that much of a problem. I hate to spend big bucks only to find out my problem is somewhere else. I know I have read the driveshaft coupler is another possible problem - is there any real way to check it's condition before going ahead and replacing it (that is another expensive item to replace if it's not really the issue). I have pulled the driveshaft and run my finger along the inside of it - I do feel the splines - I havent gotten any material out of it which would indicate stripping - and the driveshaft splines seem OK. Of course I have no "known good" units to compare it to.
                  WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Maybe a leaking driveshaft seal causing air to get into the pump intake?

Call the used parts suppliers they will have a compleate pump with driveshaft and seal carrier for not much $
                    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                      Quite frankly, if you bought it like that, you have no idea what your bottom end SHOULD feel like. Fine to you is garbage to someone else.
                      Man you've got a way with words....

Anyways.

My point was that I have a feeling the problem lies beyond your pump vane and it was most likely already like this. 5 MPH and vibration sounds like what my ski ran like when I was lost a running cylinder.

With that damage my ski gets up and goes pretty well and gets up to speed, which is my point. Is it perfect? Probably not. Will I be fixing it, most likely when I get a chance. One thing at a time :P

Comment

This is REALLY easy.

If you are getting the correct top RPMs, your damage is in the pump.

So if you go WOT, are turning 6700 or so RPM and get nothing but noise and chrning out the back, there's your problem. You may very well have a damaged impeller and housing - you have NO way of knowing how much damage you have since you haven't taken it off to look.

Comment

Working...
                        X