96 SL780 Bogging help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 SL780 Bogging help

Took the ski out for the first time (just bought it over easter break) and it ran great...took it out again the weekend after and it still ran great...went out this last weekend and it bogged really bad...I ran the gas to pretty much empty in the tank and when I went to go out this past weekend, i filled the tank...when we got to the lake, it started just fine, no unusual sounds, but when i went to throttle up, it bogged down...It wouldnt run over 16mph at 3900rpms, almost like it was in limp mode...got it to plane out a few times and pick up a little speed and if i bounced it up and down a few times, it would kick in and run normal...well until i went to turn, then it was back to running at 3900rpms...when i got home, i pulled the plugs...two of them were very black with oil and one was charred between the gap...also pulled the fuel/water seperator, which out of a 3inch tall container, it had 2 inches of water in it...

I am thinking that maybe it had gathered water in the tank over the winter (since the guy i bought it from let it sit outside all winter with no cover or anything) and filled the seperator so much that it wasnt sending enough fuel, making it run to much oil and bogg down...also found alot of trash in the seperator so i cleaned it out and am going to replace the plugs...which i guess would explain why it would run after bouncing it a little to move the trash around in the filter...

Any other suggestions that I may be missing or over looking...this is my first ski so i am kinda new at this...Thanks all...

BarefootPolaris:emoticont

Re: 96 SL780 Bogging help

Yes the water is the problem. It will collect in the carbs and you will have to pull them off and rebuild them. Drain and mop out the tank and make sure your fuel cap seal is good if not get the updated cap from Polaris.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
    X