Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help revive a SL900, possible project for all !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help revive a SL900, possible project for all !!!

Picked up a used Polaris SL900 over the weekend and I would be very grateful for any and all comments that you can provide to help me “find the light” on this project. It comes AS-IS and that of course is not working. It has been sitting in a backyard for nearly two years and has not been run in at least that long of a time period. It was covered for the entire two years but prior to that time it looks to have seen a considerable amount of sun and action based on the hull (gouges in the sides but not deep). I have already put 150.00 into the project for towing parts and new trailer tires and now that I have it in the garage I am at somewhat of a fork in the road. The decision to be made is self-repair vrs shop repair. I am on a VERY limited budget and thus taking it to the shop is not an immediate option, I suppose that if I begin working on it and the first attempts to revive it fail then I will have to give in eventually…

Before I say anymore, I am technically/mechanically inclined but lack experience. I guess I am saying that I am not afraid to try and fail at fixing it and I know my way around a tool box however my tool set is limited so if you suggest I test something please give some insight on the tool to use so I can buy or borrow one.

The history on this ski is it supposedly has a bad stator. Which is what caused the original owner to abandon it.

Now here comes the shocker. I don’t know where to find a stator or how to repair it so where can I download a manual for limited cost, free preferably but I suppose I am willing to invest 40 bucks if it provides a good guide for first time do-it-yourself’ers. If anyone has an extra or old one let me know I may send you a cool 20 bucks for it!

Any idea on what year model this ski is? Where is the information sheet located (I don’t have any documentation) or how can I tell based on serial number or otherwise. I cant seem to even locate a owners manual or spec sheet on the Internet, ideas?

The fluids and seals… What type of repairs can be made without completely overhauling the engine. What are proven and tested methods to drain the fluids and identify what to lubricate or replace so that when it is first started there is minimal metal to metal friction?

Once the first round of repairs are made (battery, fluids, seals, etc…) how do I test to see if it will run or start without having it in water. I do not live close (30 + minutes) to any water areas so is it possible to dry start these or how do you go about working and testing them before putting them into service.

What are the common pitfalls that I should avoid that others usually come across when repairing these ski’s?

I would like to have some progress made in the next couple of weeks and see where to go from there. I guess a very important point to all of this is that I am not looking to have a ski that is top performance but rather one that is dependable enough to drop in the water 4-5 times a summer and be able to ride without performing life support drills on it while in the middle of the lake. Doesn’t have to be a top performer just a reliable machine.

Thanks again for looking and providing suggestions. I am eager to get started.
    Attached Files

Re: Help revive a SL900, possible project for all !!!

Check out www.partsland.com. You can at least see a blown up view of your ski parts etc.. I'd definetly by yourself a manual somewhere first off if you havent done so already. That will tell you if what tools you will need for maintenance. I bought an actual polaris service manual and parts manual and those have been a lot better than the other manual I got. I'm still working on my "project" which is my 97 SLT780, and I'm working with a kinda limited budget myself. Taken me almost 2 years now to get it to where its at today, and hopefully be riding it before summer is out. I had bought a new motor and replaced my magneto as well. Its a good starting point at least so you can check the breakdown of parts for your model. The prices are pretty steep. Hope this helps you get off your feet.:emoticonc

Comment

Polaris website use to have manuals on them for free. I downloaded one for my '01 Virage txi and it showed all the parts in exploded view, including the engine.

Just a quick note however. I wouldn't strap my ski on the trailer across the nozzel like you have shown in your pictures. If the seal failes or a crack developes it will kill your performance when air leaks in. No first hand experience with this just something I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by pkodyssey
        Just a quick note however. I wouldn't strap my ski on the trailer across the nozzel like you have shown in your pictures. If the seal failes or a crack developes it will kill your performance when air leaks in. No first hand experience with this just something I have heard.
        Ouch! I didn't see that until you pointed it out. Def go through the rear grab bar as opposed to across the nozzle.:emoticont

Doug

Comment

Benny,
          I don't have any specific info on your ski, but I will offer some general advice that's true for just about any 2 stroke engine.

1) Rebuild the carbs. If the previous owner just let it set, it's most likely they didn't fog the engine, meaning you have old dried up fuel/varnish in the carbs. That is a very bad thing.

2) Replace all fuel lines. They are quite possibly deteriorated from sitting for 2 years with old fuel in them.

3) Abandon the oil injection system and go pre-mix. You can buy a block-off plate for $15. If you don't know the condition of the oil pump it's better to be safe than sorry.

4) Do a compression test. Once you have the carbs rebuilt and a fresh battery you should be able to turn the engine over and get a compression reading. The best results are achieved after the engine is warm, but for now this will at least tell you if all the cylinders are even which is very important.

5) Check spark. Either get a spark tester or make a block that will hold the plug and ground it to the engine and turn it over. You should see a strong blue flame on all 3 plug wires. IF you don't, you need to track that down first.

I've read of adapters that you fit into one of the water intake hoses that allows you to connect a garden hose and start the ski out of the water. IF someone else could post pics and part numbers for that, it will allow you to get the ski running at home. Just be advised that often times a 2 stroke will run great on the hose out of the water, but once you get it in the water with back pressure on the exhaust it can reveal all sorts of problems. I'm not saying yours will be problematic, but just warning you that just because it runs great on a hose doesn't mean it will be exactly the same on the lake.

KJ

Comment

more thoughts

Is a key required to start the ski? I didn't get any keys for it... I know that there is a break away clip on a lanyard for the left side of the console, but is there a separate key to put elsewhere?

Can someone post a photo of a properly secured ski on the trailer. I was at the lake this weekend and didnt spot any other skis with the strap through the rear grab bar...

Does anyone know of a thread or internet article that covers performing the compression test with pictures...

BTW - I ordered the Clymers service manual at Overstock.com for 25.31 incl shipping. So when I get that I will start pokin around and posting pics.

Thanks - Ben

Comment

I put my starps under the seat in front of the seat latch and going from side to side on the trailer.
              Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
              X