96 SL780 burns too much oil at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 SL780 burns too much oil at idle

My 96 SL780 burns too much oil at idle. When I say too much I mean it smokes like a 10 acre forest fire. It has always smoked more than normal since I bought it last year but it runs great and has good compression in all 3 cylinders. I cranked it up for the first time this year and it smoked even worse than I remembered. The oil pump on this model is not adjustable. It is a plunger type pump that is connected to the throttle via a metal linkage. I have verified that the link is the correct length per the factory spec. It seems to be getting too much oil at idle speed. Last year we didn't have any functional problems with it at all. It typically runs very smooth, stays cool, and is responsive so I don't think that there is any major problem with the engine. Just something in the oil delivery system doesn't seem right. I am fairly certain that the engine had been rebuilt at some point before I bought it because it was too clean and the gaskets looked new and the compression is at approximately 130 psi. I thought at first they may have disconnected the oil pump linkage to force the pump to run at full capacity during the break in period but that was not the case. I am at a loss to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    watersnake

Re: 96 SL780 burns too much oil at idle

Like you said there is no adjustment.

What oil are you useing some smoke a lot more than others the Penzoil 100% synthetic smokes very little.

If you foged it last fall then it will smoke a lot for the first few min.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I'm running the same oil in the SL780 that I run in the sea doo xp. The xp doesn't smoke at all. Also, didn't fog it last year.

Does anyone know anything about the oil check valves at the tops of the carbs ? The manual says that they are suposed to apply a few pounds of restrictive pressure to the oil flow and that they should be replace if the required pressure to operate them is too high or too low. I wonder if the restrictive pressure was too low if that would allow too much oil to enter the carbs at low speeds ?

Comment

Oh yeah, thanks for the feedback, dank.

Comment

If you running the same oil in your XP as in your SL780 then you are hopefully running sea doo synthetic XPS. For starters I would pick up some Polaris Oil, empty your tank and fill it with the Polaris. See if that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X