Has anyone ever heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard of this?

I have a friend selling a 97 SL 780.(Last 2 #'s of vin are 96). He bought the ski 3 years ago and had the top end rebuilt. He rode it a couple of times and said it ran great. About 6(and 2 years of sitting up) months ago, he went to start it and it wouldn't run. He checked the plugs and they had oil on them. He then pulled the exhaust manifold off and it also had oil in it. The head gasket was blown. I guess that happened from turning it over with oil in the cylinder. Since it is a 2 stroke, I can't figure out why this would happen. I was told that the check valves may have gone bad which caused oil to leak into the cylinders. Could it be the check valves? Does this model even have check valves? Could he have caused damage to the bottom end by cranking over? What would you do or check to get this ski "ship shape" once again? I haven't bought it yet, trying to decide which direction I should go in, if any. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Has anyone ever heard of this?

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Comment

PWC Dr. Oneal, Can you help???????

I'm a newbie. Ready to join the forum as a prospective Polaris owner. I'm sure these forums will be a frequent source of advice "giveth and receiveth" (as I gain knowledge of 2 strokes) Can a faulty check, in a 96 780sl cause oil to leak into the cyinder? I've spent hours upon hours searching previous forums and tech articles searching. Noone will answer, is thier something wrong with my initial posting. Thanks

Comment

Yes a faulty check valve in the oil pump could cause the oil pump to let oil leak past and go into the intake manifold then into the crank area.

Suggestion:

Get an oil pump block off kit and remove the oil pump and premix it from now on.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

thanks for the reply!

Comment

I ordered the block off kit monday (from reading the forums), seemed like the right thing to do. The head gaskets don't appear to be blown, ordered some anyway and a service manual. The carbs look brand new. Not sure if I should if I should have them rebuilt or not. I'll put it back together and see from that point I guess. Thanks again for the response

Comment

Working...
            X