1995 POLARIS Is it worth fixing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 POLARIS Is it worth fixing...

I was just wanting some input on maybe a purchase of a broken 1995 Polaris 750
    My neighbor just broke it, trashing the rear cylinder bending the rod and breaking the piston and cylinder skirt. The crank looks to be damaged as well. The bikes exterior is good. I can buy it for $500.00 Bike and trailer.My question is that am well capable of rebuilding it, but ist the cost of the rebuild out weigh the bike value or maybe installing a long block?

Thanks

Re: 1995 POLARIS Is it worth fixing...

You would break even by the time you repaired replaced the broken core components if the cylinder/case is damaged, and put one of our blocks in. After that I would sellit - not that great of a ski for reliability.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I'd try to get it cheaper unless it's in absolute 100% cosmetic shape (which I doubt ;))

But yah, at that price + a fresh motor you'd be at about the value of that ski. Then again, I've probably put too much money into my ski (replaced the motor after paying for a "running" ski to begin with) so who am I to talk :)

Comment

I thought that might be the case. I did realize that polaris had went out of buisness. That says alot about the quality of the PWC. What would be your suggestion for the best bang for the buck PWC on a $3000.00 budget?

Thanks

Comment

It depends on what kind of riding you do and where, and what your experience is.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by LANDROVERTECH
            I thought that might be the case. I did realize that polaris had went out of buisness. That says alot about the quality of the PWC. What would be your suggestion for the best bang for the buck PWC on a $3000.00 budget?

Thanks
            Well, from what I understand the fuji motors in those models are the "not so reliable" ones, the domestic 700, 900, 1050, and 1200's are pretty tough. Electronics in the Polaris skis seem to be the biggest problems.

I can't really complain about fit/finish of my ski and other components. My ski's motor had a fishy history (rebuilt by who knows who, never ran right..), and now with a fresh SBT motor rebuild it runs great.

If you're looking for a 2 seater (really a 1.5 seater) you can probably pick up a slightly beatup Yami GP1200 (97-99) or a 98/99 SeaDoo XPL. If you're looking for 3 seaters I can't really recommend as I've never researched them for my own purchase.

Comment

Two years ago I bought a slx 780 and trailer for 300.00. Before I was done I had about 2800.00 in it. Sbt motor ,rebuilt carbs, all new pump,fuel pump, AND ALOT OF TIME. I could never get it to run right. I took it to a polaris dealer (no luck).I took it to Performence Motor Sports in Ft.Wayne IN (they had it 2.5 month) and they made it run "better", bu tnot right. I sold the ski at a lose and took that money and bought a running kaw zxi900. I love it! I got the Kaw and trailer for 1800.00. Unless you got plenty of extra time and money I would try to find a running ski. When I bought the kaw I took a compression guage and a flashlight (to get a good look at the pump).

Comment

Don't trash the 780 Fuji Motor! I've heard it's more reliable than the domestic engines. I've not had any problems with mine. Despite what you may have heard, it's a good engine.

Comment

I have heard many bad things about Kawi tripples, also heard their twins are reliable. Heard many a story about 800 sea doos blowing up with out any mods and other models breaking manifolds. They all have their problems! So why does Technical Support bash Polaris so often? The polaris domestics had electrical problems, not the fuji's. The 780 fuji's had weak rods. My 750 has over 300 hours on the original bottom end.
                  He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Don't do it unless you can get away with paying for just the trailer. Say about $250-300 for everything. Get an SBT engine and it could be a fun project. I think it's gratifying when you can return a downed soldier back into service for someone to enjoy. I guess that's what SBT does too.

Daryl

Comment

primerib is right! Everyone enjoys a good project. Take your time with it. I purchased a 96 Hurricane with the 700 twin for $300 with a Karravan single trailer. The motor came in two boxes. Fun, Fun Fun. Don't pay over $300
                      He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

I'm not bashing the fuji engine. I would rather have a fuji engine over a domestic. I have rebuilt a slx780 and zxi900 and i have far less money in the zxi and it is a better running machine. The polaris was harder to find parts for and it nickel and dimed me to death. Go to ebay and search for slx and zxi. The zxi parts are way cheaper. You cant tell me that polaris dont have electrical problems(MFD,CDI,Stator,Fuelsending units,and etc.) Kawasaki also has problems but they all do.I would much rather have to repair a kawasaki! Places like Dennis kirk carry way more kawasaki aftermarket parts and hardly any parts for polaris. Polaris parts are expensive and harder to find! It is way easier to work on a ski like the zxi. Now that polaris QUIT making ski watch the parts go up. Price tigershark parts and that what polaris parts will be in a couple years if you like it or not. Kawasaki triples (900) must be all right because it is uses the same motor from 1995 to today. I was just talking to a polaris/kawaski dealership last week and they wont even take an older polaris as trade in because by the time they would get it ready for resale they couldn't make much money. They would take a zxi!!! Rebuilding ski can be fun as long as you don't lose your a$$. Sometime you win ! Sometimes you lose!

Comment

I agree you have to watch what you spend. Parts land has polaris parts, brand new, and often cheaper than used junk on ebay. In my searches on ebay I find way more polaris parts than ZXI parts. The polaris parts on there are sometimes way over priced. I'd rather pay $5 to $10 more for a brand new part than some used junk depending on the item. You can find good deals too. You have to know what you want to spend. You can get a 6 vein stator from Polaris cheaper than on ebay at times.

Speaking of electrical problems, My buddys ZXI has a working trim motor, but it doen't work. How do you go about by-passing the kawi circut-board junk? Can I run juice from the battery to the switch /motor / ground/ and reverse polarity for the other direction? Or any other fixes?

Comment

i have had no problems at all finding parts for my polaris slt750 and for my slt 780 with the fuji motor at worldofpowersports.com

Comment

4 seasons ago, I purchased a beat up, ridden-hard, 95 Polaris SLT 750 for $1800.00. It ran great, but the engine had a rough vibration to it. I figured it may not make it through an entire season. (I was desperate for a sub $2000 craft, and needed if for a family trip the following wknd---so I bought it.)

I've been VERY happy with the value of it. Yes, I had the CDI module go out last season. And yes, the new part was priced very high! But, I found a member here on the forums who sold me a used one for $70, and I've been back in action since. Another problem I had was a constant battery drain. If it sat for more than 2 weeks, the battery would not have enough power to start. So I installed a $25 battery cut-off switch--problem solved.

I bought and sold a 95 Kawasaki ZXI (2 seater). It was a beautiful craft, and I think the way it is built is much higher quality than my polaris. (The engine purred!) BUT, I hated the bouncy 2 seater ride, so I sold it. I replaced it with a BEAUTIFUL 96 Yamaha Triple 1100. This ski is great, but it is very loud--I don't like that. Also, the hull design is lousy compared to my Polaris.

That old Polaris just rides smoother and you can spin it in the water easier with it's smooth hull. It's just more fun, and for me, has been a great ski. I can't believe it's still running the way it is abused!

From owning my Kawasaki, my next ski will probably be a 3 seater Kawasaki. For the price/value ratio, I like the 97 - 99 3 seaters, but I've never actually ridden one. I'd buy another Polaris, except as people point out, since they are out of biz, parts become scarce and expensive. Anybody know why Polaris quit making skis? Wasn't the 2000 model the watercraft of the year? I liked their newer models a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X