96 slx 780

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 slx 780

I have installed a new short block and now when taking off it has a bog to it and only revs up to 5700 rpms. and bogs down at top speed when hard turning. any suggestions would help.

Re: 96 slx 780

Did you drain the fuel tank and rebuild the carbs? Why did the last engine die?
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

What caused the original failure, when was it and what other repairs were made?
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The original motor threw a rod two years ago. I do have an extra set of carbs from another slx I could rebuild. Is there somewhere you recommend to get the kit and how do I set the pop off pressure. Also I was thinking it might be the timming???? And I did drain the tank when I put the new motor in. Thank you for you responses.

Comment

Originally posted by 1200sportster
          The original motor threw a rod two years ago. I do have an extra set of carbs from another slx I could rebuild. Is there somewhere you recommend to get the kit and how do I set the pop off pressure. Also I was thinking it might be the timming???? And I did drain the tank when I put the new motor in. Thank you for you responses.
          If it sat for two years I'd just rebuild the carbs and go from there. As far as testing popoff, Watcon sells a neat pop off gauge/tester for about $50 I think. There's some posts here and at pwctoday where people have made their own. Try searching for "build popoff tester" or something along those lines.

Comment

You don't need to change your pop-off. www.watercraftmagic.com sells a tester - you do want one so you can always verify your needle & seats aren't leaking. We sell the kits for $35 ea. in our store, or you can call in: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=35
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I bought a 95 slx 780 with the engine already apart. Bought a Sbt motor,new reeds, rebuilt carbs(polaris dealer checked popoff), and got new fuel pump. Same problem as you 5700 rpm. If I got it on choppy water it would rev to 6200. It was like I had to get the pump out of the water, so i thought maybe it could could be wrong pitch impellar (from previous ower). So I got a new impellar. Still 5700! I leaned the carbs and enrich the carbs still 5700. I bought a set of 96 slx780 carbs off a running ski. You guessed it STILL 5700. Every thing in this ski was new. Exspensive items like the cdi I a dealer swap out from a running ski they had to see if it would help. I check the resistance on the stator. Finally I sold the ski and lost alot time and money. I have found several other people with 780 in these forums with same kind of problem ,but no real answer. Everybody told me the problem is in the carbs, I think i tried everything possible. Good luck!!!

Comment

I have a fine adjustment regulator that I think will work for the pop off pressure check can someone please explain how to perform this test( where to attach air flow) and what the psi should be. any Idea how long it will take to get rebuild kit.

Comment

Working...
                X