help with '94 polaris sl650-no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with '94 polaris sl650-no spark

hello all. just got a 94 polaris sl650 and sl750 recently. the 750 is good but the 650 is really p@@@@@g me off. ok when i got them the person i bought them from had to replace the wiring harness that goes to the stator plate. he said he capsized the ski and the battery leaked on the wiring. then he could not get it to run. so i told him to knock off some money iand i would still buy it from him and fix it myself (open mouth insert foot). anyways i just bought and installed a new stator plate w/ wiring harness. but still no spark. :emoticonr . please can anyone else tell me what i need to do to fix this. is it possible that all three coils are bad, or could it be that controll box(sorry may not be the right name for it. its about 2x3 in and inside the big box).

thanks everyone i hope that someone can help me out here.

Re: help with '94 polaris sl650-no spark

Yes it could be the CDI module inside the electrical box but get a service guide so you can make sure you have everything wired corectly.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Hi,

I am going through the same thing with a 93 sl 650 I got for free with a trailer.
      If you have an electrical tester, you can check most of this stuff out.
      Pull the electrical box apart, and disconnect the wires coming from the stator. You can then test the stator components from there.
      Set your tester for resistance (ohms). The following are what my clymer manual lists.
      alternator coil (red/purple to yellow) 0.6 ohms
      high tension coils ( what the spark plug wires come out of)
      primary winding ( black to black/white) 0.6 ohms
      secondary winding ( black to spark plug wire 3.3k ohms (note you have to pull the spark plug cap off and test the wire itself, not the cap)
      plug cap 5k ohms
      ignition exciter coil (red/white to green/red) 490 ohms
      ignition pulser coil (blue/red to red/white) 90 ohms
      ignition trigger coil (white yellow to black) 220 ohms

also you want to make sure your kill switch is functioning properly by testing it both open and closed, and make sure your battery has sufficient voltage.

Comment

thank you guys i will go through those today and i will be buying a service manual too. but i want to add an observation as well. yesterday when i was messing with it and got intermediate(sp?) spark. say that if i hit the start button 20 times real quick i would get a spark one time. dont know if this will help narrow down the problem but thought i would post it to.

Comment

Working...
        X