SL780 Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL780 Solenoid

Can anyone tell me where exactly the solenoid is on a 96 SL780. I know it's in the cdi box, but not sure exactly.. do I just follow the main hot lead to it??

Also, if that turns out to be my starting problem, where can I get a new solenoid for this machine??

Thanks!

Re: SL780 Solenoid

Yes

Your dealer.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

rybad....my slt780 is in the shop for something similar. My solenoid "clicks" when the start button is pressed. I split the black box and metered 12v going out to the starter so I know the solenoid is working OK. Sometime the starter will work fine, other times the solenoid just goes "click click click". I "think" the shop will clean the starter wire connection at the starter and all will be fine. The ground connection (attached to the block below the coupler) will also be cleaned and checked. Worst case is a new starter (ouch). I'll let you know what the shop finds out. I should hear back today or tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks, I would appreciate you letting me know what they find. I have already replaced the starter, and checked the cables (they are clean, and get good cont.). I'm convinced the problem is the starter relay. I used to have a clymer manual for this ski, but have lost it. I wasnt sure were the solenoid was, to test it. I will crack the box tonight and measure the volts and jump it to test.

Usually with the button, It will crank for about 4-5 rounds, then gets week (as if the battery was dead/bad) then just clicks.

Again, please let me know what the shop tells you. I appreciate it!

Thanks

-rybad

Comment

I recently had the same problem. Be sure your battery voltage is good and jump the solenoid. If it turns over, then it's you solenoid. I ordered one from dalesjetsports.com. He sells an aftermarket one that's cheaper than OEM. I'm sure it's available in many places though. I think it was a jiteco solenoid, around 50 bucks.

Comment

When I had my box apart I never thought to jumper between the two terminals. I just used a volt meter and saw a 12v hit when the start button was pressed. I guess if the solenoid contacts are weak then it may allow a small amount of current (enough to move the needle) but not enough to turn the starter. I should have tried a jumper as long as I had the box open.

Comment

did you check your battery voltage? I think a weak battery will do the same thing.

Comment

I just heard from the shop. They think the starter is bad. They said that if they tapped it with a hammer it would go. They said it must have some bad spots in it somewhere. A new starter is $250 and a rebuild is $70. I went with the rebuild. That's on top of 2.5 to 3 hours labor to remove and install the rebuild. Good luck with yours. Jamie.

Comment

Get ready to pay another 2.5 to 3 hours labor plus the new starter that you should have done :)
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks Tech Support. I know this. Problem is the ski is many hours away from my home and I was a bit over a barrell. I would never normally pay to have any work done, including rebuilding the starter. When it happens again I will hall it home and do the job right the second time!!!

Comment

I think he ment that you should get a new starter since the rebuilds don't last long.
                      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
                      X