Unreliable Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreliable Hurricane

I have another question about my 97 Hurricane. I bought this ski from the dealership I work for. I am the fourth or fifth owner of this ski. It seems to be fairly unreliable. It sold new when I first started there in 98. It was then traded back in after about one year of ownership for each owner. I have seen the repairs done over the years and thought I could pick up the loose ends. Two years ago it sheared the key in the flywheel for no apparent reason. The electrical system is all new, because of improper diagnosis of a no start problem. Someone installed the oil pump wrong and it burnt up the top end in about eight minutes after I bought it. I rebuilt it and it rann very strong, top speed of 52 MPH at 4700 ft altitude. I had a cooling hose come off and it scored the PTO cylinder. My question is this should I rebuild the top end again or is the fact that it sheared the flywheel key a sign of crank problems? I checked the crank phase as best I could but I am still unsure. Were all Hurricanes' this problematic? Thanks.

Re: Unreliable Hurricane

Is it the Hurricane?
    "The electrical system is all new, because of improper diagnosis of a no start problem."
    "Someone installed the oil pump wrong and it burnt up the top end in about eight minutes after I bought it."
    "I had a cooling hose come off and it scored the PTO cylinder."
    Maintenance schedule says to check and re-torque all nuts, bolts, and clamps after so many hours. I don't know about your crank deal, never heard of that happening. But, if the replace electrical system is the updated system it should be reliable. I bought an old tired 96 Hurricane that looks like it used to be raced. It needs new crank bearings. Wolf races his Hurricane maybe he can tell us how reliable they are?
    He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Re: Unreliable Hurricane

I do agree that the maintenance on this boat has been somewhat below par. Expected I guess from a busy farm dealership who sells one boat a year. It was usually worked on by anyone who wasn't on a service call at the time. No one here has ever been to any training for this type of vehicle. So I guess my true question is: Am I throwing good money after bad to just rebuild the top end, or should I just order a complete engine. Everything else works perfectly it seems. It is also a whole lot of fun:D
      Last edited by jj4910; 08-04-2005, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X