Premix oil recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premix oil recommendation

I've searched this topic, but anything with 'oil' in the search turns up way too many hits.

I read the SBT tech FAQ which states:
    " What is the best oil to run? The manufacturers recommended oil is the best, consult your original users manual."

OK, so I get that SBT doesn't want to commit to any one particular oil. That's fine, but I would like to get some idea of what to run in my pre-mix SLT780. I was running Pennziol 100% synthetic, but some wierdness I had with my outboard boat engine this past weekend makes me think the Pennzoil is leaving some funky deposits.

My '96 SLT780 manual simply states to use an NMMA TCW3 rated oil. I've thought of going Amsoil, but that stuff is pricey and in a premix ski I'd go through a ton. I'm now using Evinrude XD50 Semi-synthetic in the boat (premix also). It is a TCW3 rated oil, so could I use that in the PWC? The XD50 is readily available in 1 gallon jugs and I can get it for $22/gallon, which is just a couple of bucks more than the Pennzoil stuff.

Also, I'd rather not go to my local Polaris dealer. I don't really care for the way they do business and I'd rather not patronize them if possible. So, I'd like to hear all stories, both success and horror, using various oils. Especially if anyone has knowledge of running semi-synthetic (like the XD50) in their ski.

KJ

Re: Premix oil recommendation

You don't need anything specific - any top name 2-stroke PWC oil is fine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't know how true this is but from what I seen online concerning TC-W3 oils even full synthetic TC-W3 type...that they do not provide hardly any engine protection. I have a 96 SLT 780 also I plan on swapping to Amsoil 2-cycle Interceptor oil. I am not a expert but, I do know that running good oil at the correct mix your engine will last a lot longer...

Comment

Yeah, I have a source for Amsoil as well. The problem is the cost! With a premix ski I'm gonna go through a ton of oil.

To be more specific, does anyone see an issue with using the Evinrude XD50 oil? Here is a small blurb about the oil http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Access...0&category=Oil

I know Evinrude doesn't specifically state "for use in PWC", but what exactly would differentiate oils for use in outboards or PWC's? Is there something special about PWC oils that doesn't exist in 2-stroke outboard oil?

The Evinrude XD50 route would be the easy route for me since I could buy one oil that will work in both the boat and PWC. So, would this be a problem or should I look to other oils?

KJ

Comment

I think evinrude's is just TC-W2, not TC-W3. The grade is what you want. Wal-Mart's is TC-W3 and is only 6.20 per gallon. Outboard TC-W3 is only made in two factory's in the world. My bet is it's the same between brands, as MANY people will say w/ no prob's.

if they don't provide any engine protection, why don't people who use it get burned-up engines constantly? Are you/they saying I could skip using oil??
          Last edited by surveyguy; 08-02-2005, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I am new to PWC... but one thing that I was told most engines need an overhaul at around 60hrs plus, to me I do not understand why this would be the case if you use a good quality oil and take care of your PWC. I am no expert though!

Comment

Originally posted by 321nolan
              I am new to PWC... but one thing that I was told most engines need an overhaul at around 60hrs plus, to me I do not understand why this would be the case if you use a good quality oil and take care of your PWC. I am no expert though!
              If that were true I'd be putting in two new engines per season. My SBT motor arrived to me in late June and already has about 18 hours on it.

Comment

This is the way that I look at it...If I had a new engine I would be running the best oil that I could to protect my investment, but if I had a ski that I did not really care about then I would run the cheap oil...run whatever that you comfortable with... I really do not care what anyone else does. I may be new to PWC but not motor rebuilds!

Comment

nolan, rebuild an engine after 60 hours? Who's been feeding you this junk?

Comment

I'm having the same issue with going premix in my 97 GP1200.

I'm deterred by the increased cost of the increased oil usage from the 150:1 that the variable oil injection runs at at idle to the constant 50:1 premix.

But i'm interested in the increased engine protection for an older engine, and not having to buy a $300 oil injection pump or worry about the pump or an oil line failing...

I'd REALLY like to know if the TC-W3 oil at Wal-Mart is as good or better than using Yamalube or something else because all the TC-W3 oil is made in the same place.

If the Wal-Mart oil is "good enough," especially when used premix, i'd love to go to that.

I also saw at overtons.com theres lubrimatic brand TC-W3 oil supposedly formulated esspecially for pwc for $12.99/gal.

Lee B.

Comment

Originally posted by surveyguy
                      Outboard TC-W3 is only made in two factory's in the world.

Originally posted by lee_leses
                      I'd REALLY like to know if the TC-W3 oil at Wal-Mart is as good or better than using Yamalube or something else because all the TC-W3 oil is made in the same place.

Where in the heck did you get that information???? Here is the "OFFICIAL" NMMA TCW-3 Certification list http://www.nmma.org/certification/pr...5&s=Registrant . If your oil is not listed here, it is not officially genuine NMMA TCW-3 Oil. Any oil container might claim that they meet the requirements of the standard, but here are the products that PASSED the criteria!

Here is a link to the test program standards criteria, in PDF format: http://www.nmma.org/certification/lo...ovalSystem.pdf .

This does not mean I agree with the NMMA tests, or certifications, it's just that we need to level the playing field, and eliminate some of the "old wive's tales" being perpetuated by so many other internet sites!
                      Last edited by John Kubiak; 09-14-2005, 02:13 AM.
                      John Kubiak
                      Powersports Technical Training Professional
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

The GP1200 is a large bore high performance engine that needs at least a synthetic blend oil. Do not skimp on it, or you WILL regret it later.

Please do not start a new thread on someoe else's thread - this one started about a Polaris 780.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X