sunk slt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunk slt

I partly sunk my 94 slt in salt water, pulled the plugs and cranked engine to get all of the water out, but could not get it to start, then sprayed a can of WD-40 in carbs while cranking and in the spark plug holes. The next evening cleaned it up more, and got it to run about 10 mins on hose. Next day ran 20 mins on the hose, then took to the river and ran it for 20 mins at about 3/4 throttle. It ran great. The Question is how bad did I hurt the engine, what can I do now to keep running, what problems am I going to see from the engine.

Re: sunk slt

You will most likely see it blow a hole through your block when the crank bearings le go - which they will. If you ran for 20 min on the hose you have probably also damaged your pump bearings,since you should only run for 5 min on the hose - they are lake water cooled.

WD40 does NOT get out the water from the case. That salt water sat in there, nice and hot, ruining your steel bearings. You can save yourself time and money and rebuild/swap it now, or ride it till it blows - your choice. There is no magic number of how long that will be though.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: sunk slt

24 hours with water in the crankcase? Oh man, 24 minutes is a long time.

Comment

Working...
      X