Recent Rebuild SLT 700 No out of hole speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Rebuild SLT 700 No out of hole speed

:emoticond Just recently did a top end kit with my STL 700 including capping off the oil. i now premix on my own. top end (when you finally reach that speed) takes about 25 seconds or so (honest). you'd think i had weeds in the impeller.

not sure what to check. i've been throwing spark plugs at it, but perhaps i've not got the right ones yet. air filter is clear, it eventually will gain speed, but it sure takes it's sweet time

thanks for any tips...

rick

Re: Recent Rebuild SLT 700 No out of hole speed

Is it revving and not moving, or just not revving? If it is revving, check the pump. Cavitation. It its not revving, fuel system.

Comment

it's revving alright.... i pull the throttle in completely (wide open) expecting to take off and the ski just goes nose up for about 30 yards then planes off then gradually get's going faster and faster then "hey, i'm at top speed" ... some 25 seconds later, ha!

i know it gotta be something simple... i'm a VW guy and love to keep all 3 of my VWs going perfectly and so i'm trying to understand what's making this thing act this way. almost as if weeds are in the pump, but it's not.. it's all clear of weeds

another symptom is after you get going really fast, then don't slow down or you'll have to start all over again... something about throttling back and going forward... is the only filter (gas) the little (rather big that is) clear glass bulb thing?.. i've taken it off and cleaned it up.. not much to that device... oh well.

thanks

Comment

that glass thing you're describing is your fuel/water separator :)

sounds like you're cavitating.. look for excessive wear to your wear ring/impeller combo or look for broken fins on your pump.

Comment

ok... i follow your thought on revving... actually, i misunderstood what you ment... so NO it's not revving at all... i thought you meant did it idle or something along those lines.

it actually was missing at top speed. it would cut in and out rapidly (you could tell one cylinder was not firing every time.)...

that's actually what appears to be the problem on take off... only one cylinder is firing, then the other finally kicks in and boom you've planed off and are moving out....

i'm thinking fouled plugs... not sure if i've even got the exact ones that Polaris recommends... i was also thinking that although it's a 2 cycle my premix is a bit too rich or something for 50:1 operations... just don't know.. my other rebuild like the mix just fine... i pour it in both skis.. i've got a Kawasaki SC (side by side thingie... lot's of fun) and it like the gas fine.

thought about trying to figure if the Polaris just need a lighter load of oil or something...

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X