pump noise when it's floored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump noise when it's floored

After i do a 180 turn in the water, the skis back end gets out of the water and there is no load on pump parts. Then the ski sits back down into the water and is at a large load(still at 100 percent throttle). Then there is a noise like a slipping clutch on a car (like grinding the gear on a manual transmission) that comes from the pump area. It makes the sound for a second or two and then seems to catch and go. I have a brand new driveshaft so thats not the problem. Does this sound like a bearing is going bad (or has gone bad) in the pump? I just replaced the seals, so i think this is the most likely possibility....

Re: pump noise when it's floored

If you replaced the pump seals because water got in, the bearings are probably toast. That happened to me twice, and it actually locked the pump and engine. Had to be towed home. Not good. You will most likely need a new prop and wear ring if it is the prop bouncing around.

Comment

Re: pump noise when it's floored

It may be nothing more than cavitation. When you do a spin out and keep the throttle pinned it is not surprising that the pump loses traction at some point. If you just let off the throttle for a second or two it should be able to gain it's composure. When the pump is sucking a combination of air and water it will shake rattle and roll. Deosn't mean theres anything wrong with the pump, it may just be the driver asking the pump to do more than it was designed to do. Sorta like asking, when I do donuts with my car the tires make a squeeling noise, what's wrong with my tires?
      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
      Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Working...
      X