1993 SL750 Not Used in 6 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 SL750 Not Used in 6 Years

I have a friend who has been storing an SL750 for 6 years without using it. The engine was winterized the last season it was used. Any ideas on what needs to be done if we want to get it running again? I figure the battery is shot, and the fuel needs to be drained and the oil changed. Just not sure what the condition of the engine would be and if we should even attempt to start it.

Re: 1993 SL750 Not Used in 6 Years

No one can guess until you take a look - it could be in any kind of condition, it all depends on exactly how well it was kept. You're right so far about what needs to be done though.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So after doing all of the above should we attempt to turn it over with the sparks plugs disconnected? This way we can know everything turns freely before actually starting it.

Comment

I would turn it over by hand first - or at least try. If it's rusted tight, no point in putting power to it and causing more damage. If it spins freely, you would also then need to replace the fuel pump, rebuild the carbs, then you could try to fire it up.

Comment

Since I'm not familiar with the Polaris what is the easiest way to turn it over by hand? Remove the ride plate and turn the shaft? Also what would happen if we tried to start it after turning by hand before we replace the fuel pump and rebuild the carbs?

Comment

Just grab the PTO coupler where the driveshaft meets the engine.

If the engine is rusted up, and you try to fire it - it's going to come apart - and it may cost hundreds more to fix, if part of the case or cylinders breaks.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion let me try and ask it another way. Lets say I'm able to turn the shaft by hand. Will it hurt anything if after I turn it by hand I fire the engine before replacing the fuel pump and rebuilding the carbs? Will running the engine prior to replacing/rebuilding these parts cause a problem?

Comment

Yes, because the pump and carbs are going to be gummed up and filled with deposits - they will not pump and meter the fuel properly, you could easily lean the engien out if it even starts. There is no question about that step, don't even bother to try.

Comment

Working...
                X