Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild SLT 780 w/ oversized pistons.

Hi,
    I'm new here and don't know much about engines, so please bear with me.

A compression test on my SLT 780 revealed that the cylinders were; 100psi, 0psi, 100psi. So the mechanic at the small garage near my house told me that an new cylinder is going to be $780cdn, so he recommended going with oversised pistons for all cylinders and boaring out to first oversized since it will be cheaper. He says the piston will be $143 each, and it will be $50 to boar them out, and the labour for all this will be about 10 hrs at $65/hr. He figures the job should come in around $1200. I've attached some pictures below of the bad cylinder and piston.

Does this seem reasonable to you guys? It seems a little high to me, I'm not even sure I can afford it. Do I have any other options?
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Ryan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Technical Support; 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM.

Re: Rebuild SLT 780 w/ oversized pistons.

Originally posted by rye_n
    Does this seem reasonable to you guys? It seems a little high to me, I'm not even sure I can afford it. Do I have any other options?
    Here are your other, much better options:

I converted the prices into Canadian Dollars {CDN} for you

STANDARD, 1 Year warranty, plus installation gasket set, $1111.00 CDN plus shipping:
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=40-3

PREMIUM, 2 Year warranty, Installation gasket set is included, $1366.00 CDN plus shipping:
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=P40-3
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

I agree with John, if the engine needs that much work, and you can turn a wrench, get an SBT engine. They aren't that difficult to install, it just takes time and patience. Also, don't just rebuild (or replace) the engine. You MUST determine the root cause of the problem, otherwise, you'll just toast another engine.

IF you're concerned about the $$ then just park it for the winter. You're in CDN, so cold weather is just around the corner and you'll get little, if any riding in once the ski is back together. So, you'd be paying $1,200 just to let the ski set for the next 8 months!

My advice is to just park it, save up some cash for the next 5 or 6 months, then get a new SBT engine and install that in April or May and you'll have a great summer of riding next year!

KJ

Comment

I gotta go with the new engine on this one... 1,200.00 for one that you don't know will ever run properly again...or 899.00 for a new one that will for sure. It's up to you.

Comment

Do not link huge pictures into a thread, it stretches everyone's screen. The attatchment function on a post is there for a reason.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys! that's something I a had not even considered Sorry about the attachment thing...

So the mechanic tells me I owe him $321 for the work he has done so far.

With all thing considered I am actually leaning toward just getting him to fix it still. Only because the engine will be $1111cdn + shipping + taxes + import duties + the gasket set and the $321 I still have to pay the mechanic, which will likely end up costing about $1700-1800cdn in the end. So $1200 isn't looking that bad now. I think I'll have to talk to him about what caused the problem before I make a decision.
            -Ryan

Comment

Unless he will offer you a one year no-fault warranty, you shold still avoid his repairs.....$321.00 Canadian is ridiculous for a teardown and estimate. Check with the Better Business Bureau (or equivalent) to see if there is something they can do to help you.
              Last edited by John Kubiak; 09-04-2005, 06:40 AM.
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
              X