Adding Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Oil?

If I can't get my spark plugs to show a good color (running lean) can I just add more oil to my premix? So instead of 40:1 go 30:1.

Re: Adding Oil?

Absolutely not! You do not compensate for a lack of FUEL by adding oil! That actually makes it a bit LEANER!

If you are running lean you add fuel only!
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So adding oil will make it leaner. I guess I'm not understanding this quite right. I understand that adding oil would take the place of gas, but wouldn't it make the mixture more oily and give you more oil on the plugs. Adding more fuel seems as if it would cause less lubrication and more problems.

Comment

The air/fuel mix needs to remain the same in order to accomplish a very important secondary function in a two-stroke engine..it dissipates nad removes heat from the combustion chamber, piston, cylinder walls, bearings, rods and crankshaft as well as allow the engine to produce power. Adding oil to the fuel (pre-mixing) makes the air/fuel mix leaner than straight gasoline, this in turn raises the combustion chamber temperatures....Lubrication is one thing, but internal component cooling is the issue at hand.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

So my condition at full throttle shows a pretty dry rim of the spark plug. However, it has no bogging or hesitation problems. The cylinders aren't getting to hot. Do I have a concern with this or is this fine. The low speed shows a pretty good rim color. If I had a lean problem, wouldn't the waverunner show some bogging. It rides great, would a dry rim color just show its buring most of the fuel and oil. Will getting bigger high speed jets solve this issue, or does anything need to be done.

One last thing I need to check on is specifically what the rim is. The rim is the very top part of the cylinder where the threads end. The threading all has oil and gas mixture on it, but the top doesn't.
          Last edited by mecjr22; 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM.

Comment

What does your piston wash look like?

Comment

I have no idea, becuase I don't know what that is or how to check for it. If you could let me know, I guess I could figure it out.

Comment

Working...
              X