91 SL750 Piston replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 SL750 Piston replacement

My boss has a '91 Polaris SL750 with a hole burned in the #1 (closest to the front of the ski) I offered to put a piston kit in it for him to save hime some money and to get the opportunity to borrow it from time to time. How hard is it to do? I am an experienced mechanic. I have rebuilt just about every type of motor from .12cc alcholol/nitro R/C car motor to a chevy 350 V-8. Since I have a paint and body shop I have pulled motors out of jetskis to to do glass work on the hulls before. I have heard several people in these forums talk about piston replacement like it was no great chore. Is there an outline on how this is best accomplished? I would like to do it before winter sets in.

Any help would be apreciated.

BTW the ski has been sitting for over a year indoors.

SpikeT

Re: 91 SL750 Piston replacement

It needs a new crank too - a whole engine is a lot easier and most of the time cheaper. A hole meas contaminated crank bearings. Read the tech article on the polaris #1 problem to solve it, or it'll just happen again.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Could you point me to that article... i can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Tech articles - 4th down...

Comment

could you link that article in your reply? I only found 3 in the "Tech Articles / FAQ"

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

BINGO

Comment

Thank You! I read that article and that discribes the cause exactly. The ski was never really run hard at all and fuel delivery had been an issue in the past.

Question 1: What is the minimum amount of work required to replace that #1 piston? Is it possible to change the piston out while it's in the boat?

Question 2: If I have to pull the motor what else should I look for besides the fuel pump fuel starvation issue.

Thanks again you are most helpfull!!

Comment

If you're just going to do the piston - pull the exaust, pullthe cylinder, chang eit out.

Read the engine install/removal guide for the rest of swap details (tech section).

Comment

Excelent, I will give it a shot. What piston would you suggest? To my knowledge the ski's motor has never been opened up. It has very few hours on it, less than 40 (if that's low)

I would imagine since the ski has been sitting for a log time and not winterized I would probably need to rebuild the carbs. Any suggestions on a good carb rebuild kit to use?

Comment

We have Mikuni SBN carb kits for $35 ea.

No one can guess what size piston you need - like I said, I only recommend a full rebuild/new engine with a hole through a piston. You'll have to wait till you get everythign apart and measured ot see what you need as far as cylinder work and piston size. I also do not recommend running different pistons sizes or brands, it throws the crank out of balance.

Comment

See this link,

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...ghlight=primer

Go with what "Tech" says. Buy a new engine. Your's is contaminated. It is just as complicated to change one cyl as it is 3.

Also .....remove the oil pump and go pre-mix.

There are lots and lots of articles on all of these subjects.

Use "Search".

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X