97 slx pro 785

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 slx pro 785

Just got a slx pro 785 given to me. It was apprently swamped and towed to shore half under water about a month ago. It rolls over great, but I can't get compression. Removed the head and the pistons & cylinders look fine. Any suggestions on what the problem could be??

Re: 97 slx pro 785

Make your life easy and get a new SBT motor. There is most likely water in the crankcase and has subsequently blown out your seals in the attempt to turn over the engine. Also, since the engine wasn't immediately "de-watered" you more than likely have rust in the crankcase.

If you want a winter project and you can turn a wrench, then by all means, pull the motor, tear it down completely, and spend the winter months rebuilding it. If you're not mechanically inclined enought to do a rebuild, simply pull the motor, save your $$ until next spring, then get the SBT motor.

KJ

Comment

I'll take it off your hands:D

Comment

I'm kinda hoping to make this a winter project. The ski's in perfect condition and i'm kinda interested to tear one apart and redo it if I have to. What am I lookin' at ballpark in parts to do it myself?? And I don't see the pro785 motor.....about how much is that do you guess???

Comment

you're looking at about 1000.00 to 1500.00 to redo the motor to redo the crank is 500.00 to 700.00 alone .if you want to sell let me know .

Comment

Ballpark is about $800.00 a hole, including crank work,top end and labor. But, it could be something real simple too:emoticonn

Comment

Okay how about I put it like this....I'm not gonna sell the jet ski. How much am I gonna have into it.

Comment

Sounds like you have blown the seals. While your turning it over feel down where the seals are to see if any air is coming out. Just becuase there was water in the engine doesn't mean that the thing is done. I've got water in mine twice and it still runs good. The chances of something going wrong increases, but doesn't mean it won't last for a long time the way it is. I would first check on the seals and then see if the crank is good. If the person turned it over while it had water in it then there could be crank damage. You can pull the plugs and turn it over slowly. Stick a straw down the spark plug hole and mark where the piston hits at and move on two the next two and see if they are all hitting in the same place. IF so then the crank is probably good. One last thing, does it turn over very fast? If not the starter could be bad from having water in it and need to be replaced. If it turnes over fast however, with no compression, it has blown seals. I would get a manual and find out what it will take. I have never done a seal job or know what it takes, so I'm sorry I'm no help. Hopefully others will help instead of trying to buy the ski off of you.

Comment

Thanks that's helpful. I've gotten the parts diagrams and everything and I will definitely try the straw thing.

Comment

its not too hard to rebuild the engine yourself, if you need any torque specs let us know, and its easy to get the coupler off if you have one of the heads on, just put some rope down the spark plug hole so when you rotate the engine to turn the coupler off the piston locks agains the rope nad the head, makes it easy before you tear everything apart and still have the coupler on

Comment

Working...
                    X