93 SL650 flooding causing loss of hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 SL650 flooding causing loss of hair

Just rebuilt a 93 SL650, and have an odd problem. It acts flooded when starting hot or cold. The motor is a fresh rebuild with 138-140-140psi compression, it held 15psi pressure in crankcase for 4hour, and held 26" of vacuum in case for 2hr. The engine was timed with Snap On timing light at factory inches BTDC. It has 3 new BR8EIX plugs in it, new plug caps with trimmed back wires, and spark registers 25-30kv on tester on all three cyl, which is about 3/4" gap.
    With all this, I know three components of running are great, engine sealing, compression, and adequate spark at proper time. All that is left is proper fuel. I replaced the stock pump with new triple outlet pump, replaced all the fuel lines, eliminated vacuum petcock(was already missing), and installed new fuel filters between both pick-ups and petcock, and new filter between petcock and pump. The carburetors all have brand new kits, and diaphragms in them. I set the pop-off to 16psi (spec is 10-18), the lever is perfectly level with casting, and the needle&seats will hold 15psi all day. The mixture needles are all set to factory default settings, and the carbs have been syncronized both by feeler guage, and double-checked with vacuum syncing tool. The reeds are new, as are the stuffers. But after all this, the craft still floods when started hot or cold.
    The problem presents as follows: When starting cold,you can't even think of choke because it will flood instantly , hold throttle half to full and it fires up raggedly with just a little choke pulling to keep running for first 15 sec. after initial start-up. To start hot even if only shut off 5 sec. you must hold throttle wide open and crank 2- 5 sec. then will fire up and go. Now for the weird parts. If I pull the air cleaner off and inpect carbs when sitting, the throats and the intake are dry. After unit is started it will idle beautiful for any length of time, and will accelerate away from standstill after idling with absolutely no rich flutter or lean bog telling me idle mixture must be **** close to perfect. It will run any rpm range flawlessly, and plug colours are all dark-tan/brown. One odd thing it does, is when it's cranked over the engine actually coughs and runs for about 1/2 sec. before it goes into its flooded start.
    Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? I'm at a loss as to the reason. Could it be the pop-off to low? I know the spec is 10-18 and the carbs are Mikuni SBN's, but my 96 SL700 has the pop-off set to 24psi with Keihin's, and it starts normal with choke cold, and on first pop of exhaust when hot.
    Last edited by Dogger CDN; 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM.
    Ride Hard, Fly High

Current rides: 03 EdgeX 600, 04 ProX2 700, 99 XCSP700(with many mods), 96 XCR600, 96 SL700, 93 SL650, 96 RAM2500 Diesel 4x4 with Banks kit

Re: 93 SL650 flooding causing loss of hair

Did your old fuel lines have the return line restrictor installed like the 1994's Item #10. It is installed in the return from the carb;s aprox 3/4" into the line near the carbs.1993 might have the restrictor machined into tha carb casting.Worth a look if the carbs were ever changed.
    http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...50-FUEL-SYSTEM

Comment

my 94 did the exact same thing when i had an electric fuel pump on it. I got the pentagon pump and the problem went away. That was because there was no gas to get it started. I would check your petcock to make sure that it is flowing freely, and not leaking, and also check that the water separetor is sealed up tight. It might be a air leak in the gas delivery.

Comment

The original fuel return line didn't have a restrictor in it. When you look inside the carb, the return port in the casting only has a small orifice for fuel to return through, and all three were open, not plugged up. As for air leak in fuel system, I can't see it being likely because the plugs come out fuel soaked, not dry when starting. Has anybody run into this with triple outlet pump?(possible cause?)
        Ride Hard, Fly High

Current rides: 03 EdgeX 600, 04 ProX2 700, 99 XCSP700(with many mods), 96 XCR600, 96 SL700, 93 SL650, 96 RAM2500 Diesel 4x4 with Banks kit

Comment

You are running too cold of a plug. The recomended plug is a NGK BPR7ES. I would start there.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I was running BPR7ES plugs originally, but switched to BR8EIX Paladium plugs because they are self-clearing. The problem was exactly the same with BPR7ES's, but the plugs wouldn't clear themselves of the flooded condition, and always had to replace at least one to get running on three cylinders. The EIX plugs are almost impossible to fuel foul, so that's why I switched.
            Ride Hard, Fly High

Comment

Working...
            X