starter connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter connection

What wire do I connect to the bolt on the starter? Is it a red one, and if so, which one?

Re: starter connection

You need to be careful here (don't hook it up the wrong way). The positive (red wire) will attach to a terminal on the rear of the starter motor, which is insulated from the metal casing of the starter motor. The negative wire (black) will connect to the body of the starter motor. If you don't know which one is which, get a multimeter and do a continuity test. If you not sure then post a few pics to be sure and i can tell you for sure. Just don't get it round the wrong way, as you could possibly damage something.

Comment

One the cylinder part of the starter, there is a single bolt that protrudes. On the rear of the starter there are three threaded holes, two of which are used to mount the starter to the engine. I just need to know the very simple answer to the question: What wire goes to the bolt that protrudes from the cylinder part of the starter, and do I attach a wire to the threaded hole on the rear?

Comment

The bolt protruding from the starter should be the +ve terminal. Conversely, the body of the starter should be at 0v (ie: negative black wire). You should have a wire for ground as well. You can doule check this with a multimeter.....you should check this before you fire it up to avoid wrong connection. Please check with someone that has some more experience with a Polaris (i don't know a lot about them). That way you can aviod a potential problem.

Comment

In this photo, the stud to the left of the SBT decal is where the cable coming from the starter solenoid (relay) goes.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Is there a ground wire that attached to the little hole on the rear of the starter, or is the body of the starter a ground itself?

Comment

No it grounds thru the motor

Comment

Working...
              X