Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honestly How Many have had an oilpump go out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly How Many have had an oilpump go out ?

I have just gotten a 93' SL750 and I am getting scared of the fuel pump and will upgrade it to a higher output . Now , I am getting scared of the oil pump failing , how many of you have actually had an oil pump fail ? Did you get a warning first ? If so, did it start seizing up and bogging down and you kept going or did you have time to shut it off and save the engine ?
    I just know that in a family situation an injector system is so much easier and when you pull up to the pumps on the lake (Ozarks) they don't have premix . So, just filling and going is a heck of a alot easier.
    I just don't know if I want to take the chance on the oil pump or not. I am definately replacing the oil pump the winter before going out next spring.
    Thanks,
    Raz

Re: Honestly How Many have had an oilpump go out ?

For what it's worth, I pulled the one on my 650 for piece of mind. Sure it does take a tad more effort to throw some oil in the tank, but given all the problems with them its worth your motor. I'm pretty sure it would only take once to ruin a motor...and then your in for a ton of work. If your really stuck on injection, I would at least get a new pump, especially if its stock. In case your wondering Polaris is 40:1, or 3.2oz of oil/gallon gas. So a 10 gallon tank would be a full 32 oz quart. Hope this helps.
    Got Wake!

Comment

Mine has gone out. I was running down river, and the engine seized, no warning light. had to wait for engine to cool down so I could run it back up river. Did not want to run the engine but had no choice, being down river and no one driving by. The engine kept seizing as I rode it but again had no choice. rebuilt engine and went with pre-mix. a little inconvience but a lot of safe mind when I am riding. Honestly it really is no a problem except when you mix to much and the ski smokes to much.

Comment

I smoked a motor because of a bad pump...... I yanked every oil pump off of all my crafts after that happened. I run only premix now and I rest easy because I control the oil mixture. It takes another minute when fueling, but well worth it.

Skooter

Comment

So, what is a good ratio to premix ? Synthetic or petroleum based , do you use the same ratio ?

Thanks,
          Raz

BTW I want to use a safe ratio but I don't want to be smoking everyone out either.

Comment

For your info.

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...&highlight=oil

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...&highlight=oil

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...inder+exchange

Comment

My oil pump went out on me also. I was on the way back to the dock from an hour and a half ride with my wife, and without warning, the motor just died. Couldnt get it to start for like 10min. When it finally did start, damage had already been done. For the 15secs I had it running, all you could here was a loud metal on metal grinding noise. After finally getting a ride back to shore, I pulled the seat cover and found the oil tank to be totally full, just about spilling out of the spout. Took it to my ski mechanic, Piston rod #3 was broke in half, and was ground to little pieces in the bottom of the cylinder. I had to get a new motor from SBT and also got the block off kit.

Comment

Working...
              X