Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

TS, since we last discussed my overheating issue on here I've acquired temp strips to put on the motor...

I do have a new sensor that I got on Friday that I need to put in, but I don't think that's the problem anymore.

Replaced my stator yesterday so I finally have it running on all 3 cylinders smoothly now. After a few seconds of WOT the HOT lamp still lights up.

Temp strips are located on the top part of the cyinder's exhaust port.

Front cylinder is reading between 185-190* and rear cylinder is reading 170*....

All lines have been checked and are cleared. Is this an OK running temp for these engines?

Re: Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

That's perfectly normal.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok, I'll change the temp sensor...

If it still goes off, what then?

Comment

Beats me - maybe the CDI unit is going bad. No matter what it is, your engine is not overheating.

Comment

Where do you purchase the temp strips ???

Comment

Originally posted by dierdorf
            Where do you purchase the temp strips ???
            Randy over at watcon.com has 'em.

TS, changed the temp sensor and just got back from riding.. still goes off. With what I've learned from working on Polaris skis so far a bad CDI would not cause the temp sensor to go off. There's no weird shorts or anything that would be doing it, I've cleaned up the entire electrical box and all is well.

The only factor that changed b/w the hot lamp going off and not going off was the motor. I could check for a blocked passage if I could pull the head cover (not the head) off, but from what we discussed before that would void the warranty, so I won't. If you say it's normal, I'll have to roll with it and disconnect my temp alarm... if it seizes up, I'm not sure what to tell ya :) Hasn't so far tho.. so who knows.

Others on pwctoday have mentioned that my temps are reporting hotter than their pretty well modified skis (via the temp strips)... that's why I'm worried, hope you understand I'm not trying to push that the motor is the culprit, but I can't think of anything else?

Comment

I can authorize you to pull the heads for inspection if you want to.

Comment

The heads, or the head covers.. I guess I could find more indepth if I was able to pull the heads too (be able to see much more of the all the passages), but I can definitely understand if you cannot authorize me to do that.

What do I need to do to have that authorized (won't be able to do it right away, but I should be able to sometime in January).

I appreciate it!

Comment

I just gave you the OK. You'll need new gaskets if you do though.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                    I just gave you the OK. You'll need new gaskets if you do though.
                    Ok, I'll order some new o-rings for the heads and head covers and try to pull them in January :)

Thanks for allowing me to do that TS, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                      No matter what it is, your engine is not overheating.
                      Not to step on any toes and don't take this personally, but....................You're kidding right?? I recommend a lot of SBT engines and would hope this isn't a "normal" response or that I'm reading something wrong.

The strips and the sensor are not wrong. Maybe one, but not both, you have confirmation of a HOT condition and this is Winter!! Just wait until the water temps and ambient temperatures rise, you'll be cooking that engine.

Javier,

Are you able to hold your hand on the cylinder for a few seconds after a long hard WOT run? If not you're confirming your running too hot.

Are you losing more power than "normal" as the engine gets hotter and hotter? If you are, you're again confirming you're running too hot.

One more little test, after a long WOT put a drop of water on the head and tell us what happens.

Comment

I'll tell you what happens - he takes out an insurance policy and then drills a hole in it - and gets his nights and weekends back!
                        96 Raider 1100 - ProTec ride plate & Extended nozzle, R&D Intake grate
                        TS-built 97 GP1200 'sky high' edition

Comment

I lose RPM's as I run it out hard after a bit, yes.

I don't recall if I can hold my hand on the cylinder for a few seconds now that I can run it for a while on all 3. I'll have to try it next time out, but it will be a few weeks before I can.

Like I said.. not trying to push that the engine is an issue, but it's the only factor and I really just want to RIDE THE THING and not worry anymore. Anyone who's read my posts knows the thing has been hellish since I bought it in August of '04.. I just want to ride :(

I'll pull the heads next week if I get a chance.

Dave.. you know the thought has crossed my mind many times.

Comment

Originally posted by javiert99
                            Anyone who's read my posts knows the thing has been hellish since I bought it in August of '04.. I just want to ride :(
                            Hey Javier,

I bet that you have a really nice cover for your ski, though!!!!!:D
                            John Kubiak
                            Powersports Technical Training Professional
                            Las Vegas, Nevada
                            Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                            PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                            PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                            NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                            Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kubiak
                              Hey Javier,

I bet that you have a really nice cover for your ski, though!!!!!:D
                              If I could only ride the cover ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X