sl750 dies and runs slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sl750 dies and runs slow

A week ago I installed a rebuilt sbt sl750 motor for my polaris. did the break in oil ran it at slower speeds, installed the oil plate and also the carb pump kit. it was running great. but all of a sudden it would die like every 5 mins. or so. It would quickly restart and then it would be fine until 5 more minutes. Then all of a sudden it slowed down and won't run over 2500 to 2800 rpm. i slowly returned in to my dock and took it out of the water and restarted it briefly out of water just to check it. it ran great. i quickly shut if off. i looked at my glass fuel filter and also checked the glass water thing. i didnt see any water in it. i am wondering what it may be. clogged fuel filter. etc... also i put new plugs in it too. my gas lines are in great shape and some are new. i am sure the lines that allow the tank to breath are open. anyone got any suggestions of what it could be. i dont know if enough gas is getting through the filter. how i check this out..thanks for anyones help... fasteride

Re: sl750 dies and runs slow

When a PWC 'shuts down' like that, if at all possible, do not restart it until you correct the problem. Everytime it does that, it's seizing, and does damage. Unfortunatrely now that it's happened multiple times, I would highly suggest calling in to warranty for a new motor.

What you're describing could be a lack of fuel, such as clogged carbs. Did you rebuild them when you did the engine swap?

What other repairs were made at the time other than the new engine, oil block off and fuel pump, and what was the cause of your original engine to fail?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

carbs rebuilt, oil injector removed and kit installed, new plugs, new break in oil, fuel pump addition, new gaskets all from SBT.. motor never got hot. was always cool to touch ... acts like it starving for gas... fast

Comment

I agree, it sounds like a lack of fuel. I would suggest going through the carbs again, perhaps something is installed incorrectly or there is a clog that was missed.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Had a similar problem on a buddy's kawasaki 750. His problem was a pluged fuel pump and fuel lines. Cleaned the pump and replaced the lines and it runs like a new machine again. Also rebuilt the carbs just because.

Comment

Do NOT overlook the obvious. I had similiar problems on a 93. I was convinced it was electrical as common sense said that if it was starving for fuel it would be hard to restart. I was wrong. Even after cleaning the fuel filter it was restricting fuel flow to the carbs. Replaced the filter and the machine is like new again.

Comment

Working...
            X