New 700 motor/carb rebuild problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 700 motor/carb rebuild problems

installed my new SBT 700 motor and rebuilt CDK2 carb and having the following problems(2002 Freedom):
    1. just finished the break in per instructions. when going from idle to 30% ran fine. From 30% throttle to 60% the engine bogs and surges. if I pump the throttle the motor will then accelerate to full speed (90%). from 50% to 90% the motor runs fine. when I rebuilt the carbs with your kit, I replaced everything except the spring and pop off needle and the carb gaskets behind the Torx tamper proof screws(didn't have the tool). did not check pop off pressure either since it ran fine prior to the rebuild. What are your suggestions on what is causing the bogging requiring pumping the throttle to accelerate? When accelerating slowing through the 30% range the engine will stall.

2. due to the above problem I thought I might have fouled plugs so I pulled them. the plugs I used for break in were the old plugs I had in the engine before it blew. I noticed the engine is burning lean (plugs went from nice brownish tan to whitish) during the break in period. put new plugs in and the same thing, whitish looking plugs. All reed valves and cages were resealed when reassembled. I cannot find any loose bolts and all carb screws were tighted to specified torques. cannot find any air leaks. could this problem be related to my carb rebuild? any suggestions?

3. Went to premix with this engine and installed a block off kit. I took the carb fuel lines and blew compressed air into the two lines leading back to the tank and back to the shut off valve to clear unmixed fuel from the lines. added premix fuel to the lines and reinstalled lines. now when I accelerate I notice the fuel in the fuel/water separator bowl goes down below the pick up level of the filter in the bowl and does not recover to fill the bowl until I shut off the engine and let it sit. I'm at a loss to determine why the fuel bowl does not stay full like it used to. Does the carb rebuild have anything to do with the supply of fuel from the tank to the bowl. could my lean condition be coming from this area.

I don't want to run the engine until I figure this out and fix it. thanks in advance for your help

Re: New 700 motor/carb rebuild problems

Given your filter situation, if it didn't run as long as you say, I would say you reversed your fuel lines. Since you say it does run somewhat though, I'd say you probabyl messed up the install somewhere else. I don't know what eactly, but I would suggest you run it to a local dealer or shop for them to go through it, it's going to be your fastest way of resolution.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Is it possible that when I blew compressed air into the feed line to the carb (not the return to tank line) that I damaged a check valve or something in the tank pick up. I don't know if there is even a check valve in the tank or how fuel is fed into the water separator bowl. Also would the bog at mid throttle be caused by the pop off valve pressure??

Comment

The pop-off may be bad, I can't say. It takes a gauge to check. Yes you could have damaged something, it's not adviseable to even do that. You'll just have to go through everything again.

Comment

fixed the fuel bowl problem, must have been something in the tank from when I drained it to go premix.

took it back out on lake and fuel bowl remained full.

I still have the same problem with the acceleration but when I would pull the choke out approximately 25% the engine ran awsome. brought it back home and tore the carb down and checked pop-off. the pop off pressure was 13 to 15 psi on the not so expensive gauge I have. performed test 6 times to get average. What pressure should it be?

thanks

Comment

20-25

Comment

update- re-re built the carb. opened low needle to 2 out versus the 1.5 out. stayed with the same pop off spring but put new needle in. resprayed jets, checked gaskets, check valves etc. took to lake allatoona and it ran great. no hesitation or bogging. also checked plugs after 10 minite run and they are turning brown versus the lean white. keeping my fingers crossed.
              thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X