94 SLT 750 melted wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 SLT 750 melted wiring

Anyone else change the battery only to melt the wiring going to the Stator?

I recently changed the battery in my 94 SLT 750 & apparently the battery I put in had taller battery post. The battery made contact with the metal electrical box & created a direct short.

The wiring going to my stator is melted. Especially the ground. I have no idea yet if the stator is fried or not. Does anyone have any advice on how to check the stator?

Anyone have a stator for sale w/ wiring?

I have no idea what else if fried, the speedo went out right before the engine died!

Re: 94 SLT 750 melted wiring

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/radracingpics/albums

Comment

Originally posted by bkeith
      The exact same thing happened to me yesterday! ACK! In my case the terminal post wore through the plastic battery cap and contacted the control box.

I've never had to work on the electrical on this so I'm not sure how to best approach this repair.

First off, how do you know it's the stator? Is that the bundle of wires that runs from the control box, around the front of the engine and then connects to something underneath the exhaust pipe? I'm not sure since the pipes block everything.

How can I disconnect the wires under there without pulling off the exhaust pipe and manifold?

Comment

I have the same pro.... with mine..all i can tell you is that you have to pull the fly wheel to take a look @ it you can get one on ebay...for about 50-100$$$ i just payed 100 for mine and have a hell of a time getting the flywheel off so good luck with that ...Kevin
        Originally posted by bkeith

I recently changed the battery in my 94 SLT 750 & apparently the battery I put in had taller battery post. The battery made contact with the metal electrical box & created a direct short.

The wiring going to my stator is melted. Especially the ground. I have no idea yet if the stator is fried or not. Does anyone have any advice on how to check the stator?

Anyone have a stator for sale w/ wiring?

I have no idea what else if fried, the speedo went out right before the engine died!

Comment

Originally posted by moneyching1
          I have the same pro.... with mine..all i can tell you is that you have to pull the fly wheel to take a look @ it you can get one on ebay...for about 50-100$$$ i just payed 100 for mine and have a hell of a time getting the flywheel off so good luck with that ...Kevin
          So it looks like I'm going to need a repair manual for this job...

Any coments on which is better? The Chilton or the Clymer? I've only found these two online.

Comment

You can't remove the stator without removing the flywheel. This required me to pull the engine. Did it melt the entire wiring harness, or just the ground wire. Mine was literaly on fire when it stopped.

But first:
            Check the ground wire going to the stator. I have had a couple of responses that the wire was not melted on the stator end & all they had to replace was the black ground wire.

The stator & wiring harness is one piece. You can't remove the wiring without removing the flywheel cover, flywheel, & the second housing that holds the idler gear on.

There is a manual with instructions on this web site (sbtontheweb.com). However, I also have it in a colored booklet I got with my new engine (2004). I also have a copy of the Polaris manual. I would e glad to send you copies of anything you need. Just PM me your address.

The engine removal & install is no big deal. I had the engine out in about 2.5 hrs. Took a little longer going back in. I used colored zip ties to identify where all the oil line & fuel lines go. The book is really good. It even tells how many & what size bolts are used.

Let me know what you need & i'll be glad to help.

P.S. I paid $150 for my used stator. I got it in yesterday & it runs fine. The stator was the only thing fried.

Comment

Working...
            X