Driveshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft?

I replaced my engine with a new one from SBT and tried to do the break in today. It was running great, but as i was revving up and down to 20% throttle, after about twenty minutes, the engine sped up pretty fast and there was a grinding sort of noise. After i got the boat towed in and out of the water I pulled the jet pump off and it appears that the splines on the impeller end of the shaft and the impeller may have stripped... the shaft will spin the propeller if I push it all the way in so that the short splines(on the engine side of the O-ring). The splines on the other side seem pretty worn, but i can't find any decent pictures of what they should look like.

I think I might need a new driveshaft and possibly a new impeller, but I'm not exactly sure. Which part of the splines should be turning the impeller? What could have caused this? Is there something I did wrong swapping the engine, or is this normal wear and tear?

Re: Driveshaft?

You probably did not reinstall the rubber spacers/bumpers on each end of the driveshaft. The shaft is probably fine, the PTO and impeller threads will strip before the shaft. We offer impeller exchanges for $24.99
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Driveshaft?

The rubber spacers were in the ends of the shaft. What else could have cause this problem. I have gotten sticks stuck in the impeller a few times over the years, but there wasn't anything in there this time. Could the torque of revving up and down broken the spline after being weakened over time?

two other questions- how do you get the impeller out of the housing?

could you send me a picture of what the impller end of the shaft should look like? it's more worn down than the engine end splines, but i'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be.

Comment

Working...
      X