Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris cylinder / piston question

Hello,

This question is about a 1996 Polaris SLT 700 I have had for about 8 years. Lots of fun, and lots of repairs.

I need help with my latest issue:

There is no compression in one cylinder. This is the second time this has happened in a short period of time. The second time the ring caught the exhaust port and ripped off the top of the piston. To repair it the first time the cylinder was not scored so I honed it and replaced the piston. After the break in I blew it up again.

So if anybody can help,

• What would cause this, lack of oil? I have a block off kit and plan on installing it with this seasons repair. Then pre-mixing.

• The most economical way to repair this the right way would be with a top end kit. If I remember right, the size is stamped on the existing pistons. When ordering a top end kit there are choices for “Oversize”. Should I order the next size bigger and give the new pistons, the cylinders, and the heads to the machine shop? Anything special I need to tell them?

• This machine seems to break and break and break… It may be my riding, I like to go on a Tuesday when the river is empty.. My friends tell me to lay off the full throttle for increased reliability. Anyone else have any experiences to share with a 1996 SLT700?

Thanks!!!

Re: Polaris cylinder / piston question

The reason you keep burning it up is because you have a clogged fuel filter in the carb. Remove the carbs and clean them, you most likely have the old gray fuel line still in the craft. This fuel line deteriorates from inside and clogs filters causing the ski to run lean on top end. Let Me know what you find, but replace the fuel line with new marine grade line. Tom SBT tech. P.S. the fuel filter is hidden behind the diaphram block on the carb.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X