Installing new motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new motor

I'm new to engine work and I'm installing a new '01 Virage TXI motor I just got from SBT. I have a few questions as I'm starting the process...
    First: Putting the starter back in the Polaris service manual says torque should be 9lbs, but the SBT installation instructions are 40lbs(I triple checked). Well, I put them in to 9lbs and thought I'd try one at 40 to see how it felt, and it snapped the bolt right off! My question is, how can I get the bolt neck out of the motor case now?
    Second: in my installation gasket kit is a "head pipe" gasket. Where/what is the head pipe? I cannot find it on any parts fische, nor do I remember seeing anything like it as I took the machine apart.
    Third: While putting the starter gear assembly back in the flywheel case I noticed that it has about 1cm of play, meaning that if pushed back all the way the gears that match up with the flywheel are just too far back. I know the starter assembly expands when turned one direction, is that how it matches up and starts the motor, or am I missing parts? I checked the fische, but it seems to be put in right. There is a spring I found, but it looks like it's supposed to be in the flywheel cover, the opposite side, not the base, is that right?
    Lastly: When I get everything put together is it safe to start it for a few seconds in the garage to see if it works (maybe attach the flush kit?) or do I have to wait until it's in the water, per SBT's motor break in guide?

Re: Installing new motor

You might have to drill and easy out the broken bolt, Dont know why it would say 40 lbs, I thought it said 108 inch pounds. The spring for the starter drive goes into the cover like you thought. The starter drive does spring out when the starter spins over. Yes you can start it up and run it for a few seconds before you run water to it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks, for the prompt response!
      Just wondering about the head pipe gasket too. Can you tell me where I'll need it? Don't want to miss it if I need it...

Oh! One other question - I ordered a new thermostat to put in the new motor thinking it was a device to protect my motor from overheating (warn me of a hot temp), but after reading some other posts about them it seems to me that you guys are saying they're for colder water temps, and not too useful anyway. In one post you said you remove them from all your Virage TXI's, is that correct? I'd rather just put the old one in and save some money if that's the case. Thanks again - it's helping a lot.
      Last edited by winslowlds; 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM. Reason: left out a question

Comment

I remove them on all the carb models, You can leave it in the fuel injected skis
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X