Jet shaft to short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet shaft to short

I have a SL900 and reacently went through the jet and replaced the housing that holds the shaft, bearings and prop. The assembly is made of stainless unlike the original. When the jet is instaled there is about a 1/4 inch of end play. There seems to be about a 1/4 of an inch between the end of the splines and the end of the crankshaft coupling where I could install a shim to take up the excess and better mate the splines for 100% contact area. I can make the shim out of either a hard material or a softer rubber to be more forgiving.
    Would this cause any ill effects as long as I end up with the .005 max end play?

Re: Jet shaft to short

Sounds like your missing the rubber bumpers on the drive shaft ends. Check the online parts finder to I.d. the bumpers.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

No, thats a 1/4 inch play with the bumpers in place.

Comment

something is not put together properly, are the engine mounts broken? the stainless pump is the same lenght as the original aluminum pump, see if the pump is seated properly to the hull.

Comment

everything measures the same as the original except the bearing housing is machined to where it is a 1/4 inch back in the housing. The solid blades have a different angle to them as well.

Comment

I just checked the housing and blade and all the measurments are the same, it's not set back 1/4 of an inch. The mounts are all good, no cracking or sagging.
            There does seem to be a sizeable gap in the crankshaft coupling just past the splines, but it measeres the same as my 780 coupling. I just can't see where the 1/4 inch is comming from. All mating surfaces are clean and tight and I can't see anyway the engine could be moved front to back. I just don't know, but I will say it is the same as when I took it apart, so someone ran it like that and none of the parts are damaged.

Comment

I removed the coupling and found it was a new one. After inspecting it I found the threads on the crankshaft were shorter than the threaded area in the coupling by the same amount as the end play. I formed a stiff rubber spacer to take up the gap and removed the rubber button. The end play is now less than .001 and the assembly seems to turn smoothly. I will try this and if it runs ok then we will see how it worked at the next inspection.

Comment

Not sure what you have going on, all the couplers and the crank webs are the same size in the area you speak of.

Comment

Working...
                X