Engine Bogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bogs

I finaly got my SL 900 on the lake after a top end rebuild and carb replacement and the ski will only do 7.5 mph. The engine starts a and idles ok,it accelerates if I apply the choke and will do about 3200 RPM with the choke on then bogs when I reduce or increase the choke. I can bring it up to 2500 rpm without the choke before it bogs. Out side the water it will rev much higher but seems to struggle above 4500.
    I had a problem with the original carbs and the accelorator pump not working, rebuilt them and they ran good, but still no accelorator pump, so I replaced them with a set from another 900, but noticed the bores are only 1 3/4 when the originals were 2 inch bores. I am thinking they may be under jetted, so I am looking at a set with 2 inch bores from an SL1050. Will these work or are they over jetted for the 900. So far all the carbs I have had seem to have bad acceleration pumps so I was going to increase jetting by two steps any way on the secondary circuit. Would the 1050 carbs be about the same as jetting up two steps?
    Do you think this is a carb problem?
    The crankcase also ended up with some oil in the case when I did the top end. Will this cause a problem or will the excess just burn off? Also the rings seemed to have seated even with the short 1 hour run today, so I dont think that is the problem.

Re: Engine Bogs

Many of the carbs have problems with the accelerator pumps, my genesis and tx have the same issue, I have removed the pump spring and fattened up the lows and they work fine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Do you think it is all the acceleration pump, or a fuel delivery problem? It will only go to 2500 on its own and boges after that no mater how slow I bring the rpm up unless I pull full choke then it will do 3500 rpm..
      Does the bore size make a differance? Will the 1050 carbs be a better match since they have the 2 inch bore?

Comment

1050s will work fine, you may have to play with the jetting
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X