carb tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb tuning question

Bryan or Sealion, on my 1995 Polaris Sl 750 I am having difficult reaching my low and high speed screws due to the f/a base. It is screwed on to the tops of the carbs using a series of 9 screws, three per carb in a triangle. My question is this...If I remove the base to gain access to the high and low speed jet screws, can I reuse the gasket, assuming that it uses one. My lows are a little rich and the highs are a little lean, based on plug color (Highs=light tan) and low end bog.

I don't believe you will have a FA base gasket.

Comment

Good, because I was going to pull it before this weekend, but decided to wait to ask if it had a gasket. On the other hand, how does it seal properly without a gasket?

Comment

It does not need to be absolutely sealed. Some skis do have gaskets, some use o-rings, some have rubber couplers, some have nothing.

Comment

Mine had gaskets. You can either make your own or use a thin thin coat of silicone to seal them.
          Rob

Comment

Bryan, of course you were right, again. I didn't have any gaskets. I made a few adjustments for now and will finish up tomorrow at the lake. Thanks for the help

Comment

That's interesting because my 95 had gaskets. Maybe the previous owner never put them back?

Comment

Our two shop Polaris ski don't have them either.

Comment

Bryan, I just checked my factory service manual and it also shows gaskets. I bought my 95 SL750 new and when I did intake mods there were gaskets. The key might be that you have used skis and who knows what they have been through? Maybe Polaris didn't use gaskets on different production runs???

Comment

I agree - I show gaskets in my manual too, but I have also seen and heard from anough people to know that for whatever reason not all of them have them. Very possible regarding runs.

Comment

Hey guys, don't forget that mine is an aftermarket type f/a.

Comment

Heh, mine didn't have gaskets... but was jacked with from previous owners doing who knows what.

There is not a heavy vaccume there, so a very tight seal is not needed. In / after the carbs and up to the engine, you want to have a very very good seal.

If you want imediate service after assembling, rather than waiting for the "ultra" series to cure. I use hylomar, a clear dark blue gasket material, and it can be placed into service directly after assembling. [only gasket material recommended or specified by rolls royce, btw.] Down side, clean-up if removing the parts is much more messy.

L8r,
                        -Skexies

Comment

Assuming by your post, you are describing the 3 bolt/ triangle pattern 38mm SBN, the carb gaskets are available at Yamaha w/part #-6K8-13674-A1-00, you will need 1 for each carb. I got them at RIVA when I ordered my arrestors, adapters and jet-kit. The price was $3.25 (4/6/99). I deal w/ Brian, get good service there. (www.rivayamaha.com)
                          ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Are you sure those aren't carb base gaskets you refferenced? We are talking about FA bas gaskets - on top of the carbs.

Comment

Carb base gaskets are 2 stud gaskets. the ones that fit on top of the mikuni carbs directly under the flame arrestor are 3 hole triangular gaskets. I bought some gasket material and made them myself when I took the carbs off last year. The flame arrester base then bolts on to the carbs with 9 bolts, 3 for each carb...

The flame arrestor top screws on with 6 or 8 (I think 6) coarse screws.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X