Polaris Quick trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris Quick trim

The trim on my polaris sl750 isn't working. I bought it used and am not quite sure if it ever worked. Anyhow, I could see the green and blue wires coming from the trim switch on the handle bars coming out of the top, but where are the orange (positive) and black (ground) wires coming out of the box? I need to get this fixed asap. Thanx

Yes, I know that the blue and green are for the MFD/trim switch, but I need to find out where the orange and black wires come out of the box. It is like somebody snatched them out and I can't find them. Yes, the trim works only when the ski is running, I've already tried that, it still doesn't work. Now I'm trying to trouble shoot it and I can't even find the positive or ground cables coming out of the trim box.

Comment

The black and orange don't come out of the trim motor box. The orange runs to the electrical box where it gets juice from the stator. The black also runs to the electrical box where it joins a common ground.
      I haven't had to remove the cover from my electrical box so that is as far as I can go. You just have to dig around in there to find them but that's where they should be. I think the trim switch is also grounded to the handle bars, so you might want to make sure you've got good contact there.
      Anyway, best of luck.
      If you want more help, try being a little more specific. Year of the craft, a box is a box is a box. What box?

Later

Comment

Tom,

I'm new to these pwc animals but i think this is how it goes.
        Your trim will only work when the engine is running. The stator generates the power to run the trim motor.
        But to answer your question, the green and blue wires from the trim switch are for the trim indicator on the MFD. The orange is for power from the stator and the black runs to a common ground.

Run it and try the trim and if that fails get a manual and diagnose it.

Later

Comment

My mistake, I was referring to the trim motor box. In the manual I have, it talks of a blue and green wire going to the trim box from the trim switch on the handle bars. Is this the source of power for the electric trim? Should I attach jumper wires from the battery itself to the blue and green wires before I condemn the trim motor. I assume the orange and black wires are associated with the trim switch and not the trim motor box. Thanks for the help. Please forgive my ignorance and unexperience with describing my problems. I'll try to be more specific in the future. I have a 1995 SL 750.

Comment

I'll look at it when I get home this afternoon. There is a diagnostic procedure to check the trim, by jumpering power from the battery to one pair of trim motor inputs [on the trim motor itself] and then the other. This will isolate a bad trim motor from a bad switch / wire.

More later!

fcm.teq.org/business/projectsbusiness/1995sl750/1995sl750home.htm

If you'd like to keep up with my personal project.

-Skexies

Comment

You can test the trim motor by pulling the black cover off. Apply 12VDC in one direction and then reverse the polarity at the 2 leads and apply voltage again. This way you can check both directions of operation for the trim motor (up and down).

Comment

I tried connecting the 12v dc power to the trim motor. I can hear the motor turning, but the cone isn't moving up or down. I can hear the trim motor running with either polarity. Are there any gears in there that might not be meshing. Please let me know so I can go riding this weekend!!!

Comment

There is a spring in there that could have slipped off of it's clamping points. The only way to inspect this is to remove the bolts that hold the trim motor to the hull and look inside. When I had an SL750, I added the 4" pump extension and it came with a longer trim rod and a heavier duty spring to replace the existing spring. I had the trim motor apart and it was simple to swap springs. Your spring might have just popped out of it's seated and wound position. Check it out. If your trim motor spins with juice applied, it should be fine and your problem is elsewhere in the trim motor housing.

Comment

I've had to replace the trim on my SLX because one of the plastic gears stripped out on it. Sounds like the same diagnosis. I had power and sound, but no movement. Good luck.

LM

Comment

Well guys, I pulled the trim motor out of the ski and went to looking inside. It turns out two of the gears had been stripped. I guess I need to find another trim motor and save the other for parts. Thanks for the help. Do any of you know where I can find another trim motor for fairly cheap? I saw a used one a Samora's in the garage sale section, but I don't know if I should buy anew or used motor. What is the price difference and where can I find one?

Comment

I am waiting for a reply from a source I e-mailed that had several new ones (take offs) to get back to me with a price. I'll let you know what they want for it once I hear back. It will probably be cheaper than a used one so you might want to wait and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Hey Sealion, that would be great! What do you mean by "takeoff"? I took the whole trim box out, is that what you mean? I was a little disappointed to find sand/salt inside the trim box. That is what probably led to the demise of the trim box in the first place. Anyhow, please send cost, payment methods and contact(s) as well as a picture (if possible). Thanks for the help, too. Also, what type of mods would you recommend for the 750? I am planning on keeping this ski for a while so durability and longevity are primary goals. Top end is nice, but acceleration is awesome. I ride mostly on freshwater lakes. I'm thinking of getting the scoop grate from purepolaris.com What do you think? $30 is less of a hit on my wallet than say an R&D for 75-100.

Comment

The grate that Polaris offers is actually an R&D just cheaper. Good addition if you are looking for better hook up and less cavitation. Sorry to hear about your trim motor. Sounds like the same damage as mine had.

LM

Comment

Sealion,
                              I went to your web site and I gotta say that it sounds like you have a kick arse ski in the works. What kind of figures (HP) does the motor put out? What mods would you recommend to me, with a tight budget. Also, have you heard any word on the trim motor. Any how, everyone have a Happy Easter!

Comment

Working...
                              X