Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll get a kick out of this.... [trim motor issue]

My trim motor locked. [rust inside the motor]

The trim is not sealed well and water obviously was flowing around inside the housing quite a bit. It finally died when I almost fliped the SL vertical head over heals the other day bouncing off a wave.

I took everything apart on the trim, soaked it all down and had to drill out the motor's mounting screws as they were beyond stuck. Motor looked familiar... too familiar...

I checked the mounting holes and I'm fairly sure the rusted hunk was a mabushi dc motor. Very commonly used on cheesy stock R.C. cars! So I ran out to the garage and dove through some boxes. WALA! My "Outlaw" R.C. motor. woohoo! Bolted up and it seems to work fine [jumpered] but I have not tested it running off of the standard controls. I'll do that this weekend. :D

Here is a pic... for those folks who need a great laugh. I think my new trim far exceeds the performance of the new double-speed trim units.
    http://fcm.teq.org/business/projects...at-prep-21.jpg

I figure uni'b will get the biggest kick about it.

You got away a lot cheaper than I did. I just bought a new one from the dealer. It seems that mine had the same problem. All of my screws were stuck as well so I had to drill them out. I just used self tapping screws to get everything back together as well as 3M fast cure. Works great. Anyhow, good luck. Maybe your trimm will be a hell of a lot faster up and down.

Comment

I have also heard that Sea-Doo uses Chrysler power window motors in their trim.

Comment

tom: did you just buy the motor or the trim unit? Kinda curious...

I had to drill out the motor screws but everything else came out ok.. just with a lot of slow torque.

I have not clocked the speed, but it seems WELL beyond the 3rpm that the normal unit turns at.

-Skexies

Comment

Actually the motor was fine, it was the gears that had stripped. They wouldn't/couldn's sell me just the gears so I decided to buy the motor and gears and use the others as backups. On a lighter note, it looked like they had changed the design of the inside and the gears. maybe because there was a "problem" with the original units. Who knows. Regardless, my trim is fixed and I'm happy.

Comment

Welp, everything installed and as fate may have it... the trim goes up n down on the MFD, but no movement on the motor. I'm wiring my own relays to power the motor... :|

Also, to add insult to it all... my clock never told time correctly... but now my tach fritzes out and reads 8-9k rpm at 1/2 throtle. hahahaha.... then it magically works again.

-Skexies

Comment

Working...
            X