New owner of used SL 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of used SL 750

Thanks Jennifer! Thanks bryan! I got the new gaskits in. Now that I have this, and have it broke in, (came with a cool new blue sbt motor)would you explain what I have? I know it has a fuel pump kit, oil injector blockoff kit and OP vortex F/A, and of course an sbt motor, but as I understand, it has carbs from a 780. What does that mean to me? Also, I read that the sbt motors are overbored 1mm. What does that mean? Is the pump asy. stock? How do I tell? What are wedges and pump extensions? What is a ride plate? New to PWC so forgive me for not knowing. Ive picked up a few things on this and other boards but still dont have a true understanding of a lot of these things. So far ive seen about 47 to 49 on this ski after the 10 gallons of gas breakin. I only held it for a split sec. though and the water was not glass smooth. What mods should I try to increase speed? Should I try any at all? The ski is quite fast but you know how it is. Always want a little more. It did pourpois a lot in the bumpy water. What helps with that? Thanks all. [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: williemon ]</p>

There are other Polaris experts here that can recommend the best mods for you - but what you have is a new 750 with the oil pump blocked off, the carbs and Flame Arrestors from a 780, and I installed a separate pump for each carb. Everything else is a stock 750.

Pump wedges are basically shims that go between the reduction and steering nozzles in the rear, moving the angle of the last nozzle up or down. They are used to give more lift from the pump without trim, to increase top-speed. Pump extensions are longer exit nozzles, to give more responsive turning and in some cases increased top-speed. Ride plates are the metal plates on the bottom of the ski at the rear - aftermarket plates give better handling and in some cases more speed.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. So how about it? Anybody else out there have any tips for what might be some good mods to look into just because they make the ski even better than it is? I will use the ski just to have fun with in smooth water as well as a light chop on our local lake. I think I like the all out speed best. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Might try

SLX [the 4" extended] pump conversion
        93 octane heads
        polaris HP-1 prop or scat-trak 13/18 swirl
        ocean pro ride plate
        polaris performance intake grate
        carbs bored out 34mm & rejetted

Those seem to be a popular list.

-Eric

Comment

Boyesen reeds and Chopper City 3/8" reed cage spacers. If you are using a complete induction from an SLX780 then you probably already have the reed cage spacers? Bryan might know since it sounds like they put it on there. There is no difference in the carbs off of a 750 or a 780. The difference is the reed cage spacers and the OP Vortex F/A's. The jetting is also differen but the carbs themselves are identical. You might also consider removing the choke plates and adding a primer kit.

Comment

I figured this post was dead. Anyway, How about it Bryan? Do those carbs already have the reed cage spacers? What are those anyway?? Can one tell by looking at the outside of the carbs? Im thinking the ride plate, intake grate mods are a must. Will that model of ski show great gains from a pump extension, different impeller or both, or will the gains be small? This is me last weekend riding it! :D

Comment

Yes the carbs are the same except he has the F/A, and no, there weren't spacers with her ski, but they do have stuffers.

Spacers pull the reeds back out of the case and slightly increase case volume. It helps to reduce the amount of turbulence the reeds are subjected to and often extends reed life. Spacers direct and increase airflow directly at the reeds to give better throttle response.

Comment

Ok. That will be a mod I put on the later on list. The spacers that is. Now, whats a stuffer? I assume it puts the reeds closer into the case. What does that do?

Comment

No, they just go in the cages on the intake side. See this thread.

Comment

Thanks. Learning alot.

Comment

BTW, All Polaris at aleast 94 to present come stock with stuffers. They are actually good quality and don't crack and break up like some aftermarket ones.
                      The first item I would add to any Polaris is an Ocean Pro rideplate. The extended pump is great and adds 2 mph (some say 3 but I never saw that) but can be costly if purchased from the dealer. Try to look for the used components either all together or piece by piece. Also keep your eye open for a 92-93 SL650 stock pipe. It will yield more rpm and more speed when used on the SL750 or SL(x)780.

Comment

Working...
                      X