Carb Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Rebuild

Got 3 Rebuild Kits for my 94' SL 750 from you with my new SBT engine...w00t!! Had a few questions about rebuilding the carbs.

Why does the kit come with so many extra parts? Send less, charge less. Want the extras back?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Which spring should I use? There are 4 in the kit to pick from. Dont have a pop-off pressure gauge, really dont want to spend 50$ to get one. Any ideas??

Should I just start off with the settings in my Manual for high and low speed screws. Carb one was right on with the book, carb 2 and 3 where way off. Ran good with whatever settings it had before I killed the engine :( Since the carbs have been rebuilt do I go back to Factory settings?

Another question about selants. The guy at the polaris shop said dont use any selant on the exhaust gaskets. Thoughts on that?

Thanks alot
    Tim

Extra parts are in the kits to accomodate a wider variety of application without nececcitating extra end items to stock and package. You should only have a couple internal gaskets and a few springs extra.

If you do not have a pop-off gauge you cannot properly set your pressure, and if you aren't going to get one I suggest you reuse your old springs.

I would set back to factory settings and fine tune from there.

As for not using a sealent on the exhuast gaskets...well...our opinions are stated in the Guides, and we give it for a reason. You can do whatever you want to, but I'll warn you to expect some exhaust leaks if you don't go by the guide.

Comment

If I where to try the new springs and get a gauge...what kinda psi # would I be shotting for?

If there is no downside to using selant on the exhaust gaskets, I will use it. Just thought it was werid that he told me not to use any.

Thanks
      Tim

Comment

I'd have to check the book to be sure but I believe you want around 25 psi.

Comment

Should there be a 1/2" long restricter fitting in the return gas line from the carb rack. I pulled it out of the line with a needle nose. Wondering if it should be there.

Why dont all 3 carbs use the same high speed screw adjustment settings. All 3 Lows are 1/2 turn out. Highs are #1 1-1/4, #2 3/8 and #3 7/8 turns out. Does this mean at high speed all 3 cylinders are getting differnet amounts of fuel??

Nowhere in my Manual does it talk about pop-off psi :(

Thanks
          Tim

Comment

Yes, you need the restrictor - it creates back pressure to keep the carbs fed.

Each cylinder requires unique fuel delivery - they each have different loads, operate at differnt temps, have different timing, etc. Each must be tuned separately. They don't always end up being the same. Some even have different port timing from one another.

Comment

I made my own pop off gauge.

I used my air compressor for the air source. I took a quick connect air fitting, attached it to a valve (small air valve that was easy to crack open, you don't need much air.) connected to a T to which I then connected a low pressure gauge and a 1/4" barbed fitting.
              ___________________________________GAUGE________
              COMPRESSOR=>QUICKCONNECT=VALVE=TTTTT=1/4BARB

It works just like a hand actuated gauge without the effort!

I had all the parts in my spare parts drawer. Anyway, works great!

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Supermac ]
              -[\/]ac<br /> <a href="http://www.MACSBOOST.com" target="_blank"><B>www.MACSBOOST.com</B></a> Plug in 20+HP for your Honda Turbocharged Watercraft
              <a href="http://www.TeamTweek.com" target="_blank"><B>www.TeamTweek.com</B></a> TeamTweek Watercraft Racing Forums

Comment

Working...
              X