New, lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, lots of questions

Okay, I'm new to the forum here folks, so be kind when I ask all kinds of questions you've probably seen before, some might even sound stupid...

(I have been reading the posts, just haven't registered till now)

I've been a Lake of the Ozarks person since even before I actually came into this world (39 years). I just bought my first PWC late this past summer, a '95 Polaris SLT 750 (yeah I know, what took me so long) Runs great, looks mint, was well taken care of by the previous owner, and I got what I feel was a bargain in the process (trailer, cover, new Multi-function gauge ($285 at dealer) and new grab bar for seat). I take care of all my toys and want to do the best for this one too. I have a 12 year old son and a 15 year old daughter that love to ride now. Man I am getting really restless for Spring!

Question 1: I know about the leaning out problem with the Polaris Fuji blue motors - is this the inevitable end to my motor in a couple of years, or just if and when the pump stops pumping as well as it used to? How many folks have actually put the 2nd pump kit on Polaris machines they own or owned in the past? The kit as displayed on this site has a pump - it it just like the original equipment pump? The price seems quite low at $40, (I'm not complaining though).

Question 2: Any benefit (perfomance-wise) to be derived from cleaning out the stock water box on the machine with a solvent to make it flow better? I don't think a solvent would hurt it, it's all metal inside I believe. Can't see much benefit from buying a new box, other than maybe louder (if thats what one wants).

I'll be asking more questions as I get time to post. Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll get here.

As far as the external pump, I *highly* recommend you install one OR replace your stock pump with a high flow unit, such as found on the 780+ motors after they corrected the problem, or an aftermarket unit such as a Mikuni High-Flow race pump. Our kit is the cheapest option, BTW. Your stock setup is on the fine edge of destruction, when it's in perfect working order. As soon as the pump starts producing less than optimal output, you will start running into the lean problem, and there is no warning.

I don't know how many on here have fixed the problem, but we notify every one of our customers using that engine.

As for the waterbox, no you won't see any advantage. The waterbox doesn't build up any significant material to block flow at all.

Welcome to the board!

Comment

Okay, so I've got a five year old pump, I put an extra pump on, and then the old one goes out, and the other two cylinders fry. Sounds like two new pumps are in order here.

Or, you say they improved the pumps on the later year 780's. Would 1 high-volume pump, or 1 new and improved Polaris pump (if we're not talking about the same thing here) be better? How much are we talking for a new pump or a high volume pump? What about gas mileage with the high volume pumps? I'm already running through a lot of gas as it stands, just wondering how that would change.

Do you carry the high volume pumps? And is the pump you offer with the kit a Polaris part or a name brand? Seems very reasonable in price.

Thanks!

Comment

The pumps don't stop working, they just stop producing full output due to slightly worn diaphragms and sludge. You don't need two new pumps.

A new Polaris pump or high-flow aftermarket will probably run you $60+.

Pumps have no effect on milage, they just supply pressure to the carbs, which use the gas as needed.

No, we don't offer the Mikuni High-flows. The pump kit we have is a generic 3rd party pump, good enough to supplement the primary for this purpose - it's not made as an OEM replacement.

Comment

I still would think it best to go ahead and replace the original pump too. At 5+ years old, it may start getting weak - just for good measure. Just my opinion.

So, ignoring what you do or do not offer at SBT, which method do you recommend, 1 new improved Polaris or the supplement pump to go direct to #1 carb?

Comment

Personally I'd go with one good new High-Flow pump, because it's a much cleaner install, and I don't care about the cost!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the honest opinion, I can really respect that.

Depending on if I decide to go that way, where is a good place to find the Polaris or high-flow? One that note, does ANYBODY besides my dealer and Polaris itself carry Polaris OEM parts online?

By the way, can anyone give me any insight as to why, when I bring up the SBT site on my computer at home (old, 100mhz Micron P100 model) I get a general protection error and my machine locks up? Anyone? I hate doing this talking on my work machine (lunch, before and after work) but I really enjoy the site.

ShowMeSLT750

Comment

Try Bill at www.watercraftmagic.com for a high-flow pump.

No, I don't know of an online Polaris OEM source.

Your system probably has a very outdated or corrupt install of Shockwave. Go to www.macromedia.com and reinstall the current version.

Comment

Thanks, Bryan!

Comment

Working...
                  X