Fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sending unit

How do I bypass the fuel sending unit on my 1996 SL 900 so that the computer does not think
    it is out of gas all the time and engage the rev limiter? Can I just cut the two wires and and
    splice them together?

I believe that will work fine, yes. It should show the gauge a zero Ohm load, thinking it's full.

Comment

I added a waterproof switch inline to be able to turn it off when getting low on gas. Cutting the wire will work too but you won't see how much gas you have in the ski. With the switch, as soon as it gets low on gas and starts to limp, I turn the gas reading off and no more limp. I head back to put more fuel in with normal revs.

Comment

I am running premix, so I don't even use the oil level gauge.

So I use the Oil gauge inputs on the MFD to display fuel level from the fuel level sender and have the fuel sender wires with a resistor in between them.

The gauge reads 32 ohms full, so if your ski is like my '95 sl 750. You need to hit radio shack and pick up a 32 ohm resistor to put in between the wires rather than shorting them out.

Assuming yours is like mine was, it'd be 32 ohms full. However, I have seen polaris fuel senders on other models that are backwards... 32 ohms empty.

Take care,
        -Skexies

Comment

Hey guys, this might be old hat to you, but I was reading on the polaris site in the FAQ area that the float sinks in the gas tank and that is why the gauge reads empty. A replacement one was available for like 20 bucks (retail) that replaces the sunk float.

Comment

I had not heard that before. Once I can run this full tank of gas down a bit, I plan on
            pulling the tank out and inspecting the fuel sending unit better. Part of my reason for not
            fixing it is the fear of what another one might cost- but if its only $20, I would buy one quickly.

Comment

http://www.polarisindustries.com/pro...8-009027C34B34

Cheers

Comment

Thanks so much for that link to the Polaris page. That is the EXACT symptoms my jetski has. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that is what happened to mine. And $16.50 is not a lot to pay to get it working again.

Comment

Re: Fuel sending unit

Much has been said about this problem, but having just bought a '97 Polaris SL1050 and taking it out for the first time last night, I am wondering what problem I might have. My max RPM's according to the MFD were 6,100 RPM's and max MPH was 65.3 - It seems pretty fast but my dealer said I should be hitting higher RPM's than that. The entire time my MFD shows my fuel gauge as empty and every couple of seconds it flashes the word "FUEL" on the MFD. It doesn't seem to be running that bad but I would like to fix the fuel gauge so it is accurate. Do you guys think my float is just bad as reported in many of these posts??? - I did put 10 gallons of fuel in it before heading out so it was full. Also this has been sitting for about 2 years. Thanks SD

Comment

Working...
                  X